Skip to main content

Magical Readathon: Orilium - Traveller's Key Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

Hello everyone!  In September I followed the Novice Path for the Magical Readathon, hosted by G. @ Book Roast.  The readathon is based around a magical academy (Orilium) and taking part in the Novice Path this month features our journey to the academy.  The character creation aspect (the Scholar's Key) of this readathon is open to complete up until April 2022.  You can come up with several aspects of your character's story yourself, but there are also 3 prompts to select some background elements.  In October I worked my way through those prompts and begin to focus a little more on creating my character for the main part the readathon coming in April 2022.  My character is going to be a dwarf who lives in an urban setting in the province of Daerune.  The closer we come to the April, I'll further design my character, but I'm up to a good start so far.  Without further ado, keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I read to design my character who will be studying at the magical academy of Orilium:

Urban - Read a book set in a city or a town

❋ ❋ 

Bitten (Otherworld #1) by Kelly Armstrong is a long running series I've been putting off for ages.  One of my friends is a big fan, so I decided I'd finally jump into it.  While I liked the writing style and the introduction to Elena and her world, it was slow going and just a little boring.  I wasn't invested in the romance part of the story.  I know I'll be back to for the sequel, Stolen, but it's not exactly going to be at the top of my list.  I may come back for it as an audiobook - maybe that format will hold my attention more.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Daerune - Read a book set in a desert 

❋ ❋  

Beyond the Red (Beyond the Red #1) by Ava Jae is a solid YA sci-fi series opener.  I always get a kick out of books with maps and glossaries and this novel had both.  It goes into quite a bit of detail some even with the glossary.  I'm glad I just happened to find this at a thrift store.  If you haven't tried this series, you might have to give it a chance especially you're interested in both aliens and dystopian.  I'm going to have to get my hands on the sequel.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Dwarf - Read a science fiction

❋ ❋ 
Adaptation (Adaptation #1) by Malinda Lo  isn't my favorite from this author, but it's still more than worth trying if you're a fan of the author's writing style.  I will say that her characters aren't quite as vibrant in this story, but I definitely appreciated that a good part of the story is follows Reese as she is trying to come to terms with herself and who she is during all of the sci-fi thrills.  I hope to try the sequel next.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Are your gou going to participate in this readathon next year?  Have you read any of thee books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didin't