Skip to main content

2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #7

Happy Sunday everyone and welcome to my seventh 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini reviews!  In July, I read 6 books for a total of 40 books completed out of 50 books.  for the 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge. I've made some great progress!  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I read in July:

 ❋ ❋  

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White  is easily my favorite Frankenstein retelling.  That's saying a lot since Frankenstein is one of my favorite classic books.  I loved just how darkly twisted and creepy this story is.  The character growth is pretty outstanding as well for Elizabeth herself.  Then actually get to meet Victor and his creation as well and they totally live up to my hopes.  It's cool to see them from another perspective.  I should have read this years ago.  I would love to see a movie adaptation of this one day.

My review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋  

Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood #1) by Juliet Marillier is a beautifully written YA fantasy.  I'm so glad I decided to finally try this author.  I've had her on my tbr for ages and I know I'll be adding so many more of her books to be read list.  It's a bit slow to start but it really pulled me in.  I loved just how much this feels like a fairy tale.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  

The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher was a horror fantasy that I was dying to read.  I've really enjoyed everything I've read from the author and this one was no exception.  I will say though that it's quite a bit different than the other's I've read from her, but it was still deliciously atmospheric and creepy.  I'd say it's probably best to go into this blind.  If you're a fan of Grady Hendrix, you can't miss this.

My review is also on Goodreads.


DNF'd @ 25%

After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid just wasn't for me.  I usually enjoy her stuff, but I had to put it down.  I didn't care about the characters and actually found myself getting annoyed at them the longer I listened.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋  

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann is a tough piece of history.  That said it is a piece of history that needs to be much more well known now.  I don't know why I'd been putting this off for so long.  This comes recommended from me, especially if you're a fan of Grann's style.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ 

Air Awakens (Air Awakens #1) by Elise Kova  is a novel I've had on my tbr for a long time and have heard a lot of great things about it.  While I really enjoyed what I've read from this author in the past, this YA fantasy series opener didn't quite work for me as well as I was hoping for.  It's too predictable and the pacing isn't the greatest.  That said, tt is still a solid read if you're interested in the genre, but I doubt I'll be back to check out the rest of the series.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you taking part of in this challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. The Twisted Ones is one of my favorite T. Kingfisher books! Also The Hollow Places. I think I love them because they are horror😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads