Skip to main content

Mid-Year Movie Freak Out 2023

Happy Sunday everyone!  Today, I'm sharing my Mid-Year Movie Freak Out 20232!  You can check out my 2021 and 2022 list, if you feel so inclined.  If anyone would like to link up with me and share their Mid-Year Movie Freak Out, I'd love to see your answers to the questions.  By the way, the titles are linked to my Letterboxd review or their Letterboxd page.  Without further ado, here we go:

1. Best movie you've watched so far in 2023.

R.R.R. (2022) - This over the top spectacle totally worked for me and hit all the right notes.  I wish I could have seen it on the big screen.

2. Best sequel you've watched so far in 2023.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 3 (2023) - I enjoyed every second of this movie.  I'm just so invested in the characters, but Rocket and Nebula are my favorites.

3. New release you haven't seen yet, but want to.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023) - I loved the first installment and I wanted to see this one in the theater, but missed it.

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.

The Marvels (2023) - I just can't wait to see Kamala Khan on screen again!

5. Biggest disappointment.

Disenchanted (2022) - Unfortunately, this movie lived up to its title.  It just didn't have the sense of magic as the original.  I will say though that James Marsden is the real scene stealer in this movie even if he's terribly underused.

6. Biggest surprise.

Blood Relatives (2022) - This was such a pleasant surprise.  I didn't expect a whole lot out of this low budget vampire family road trip comedy, but I loved these characters.  I wouldn't mind seeing Francis and Jane again in a movie sequel or tv series.  I'd definitely watch more of their misadventures.

7. Favorite new actors or director.

Andrew Lau and Alan Mak for Infernal Affairs (2002) - This movie hooked me right away and I absolutely need to watch more from these two, including the sequel.

8. Newest favorite character.



Ballister, Nimona, and Ambrosius from Nimona (2023) - I couldn't decide between these three.  I hope we'll get to see them again in the future because I loved every single second of this movie.

9. Movie that made you cry.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 3 (2023) - If you had asked me years ago if I would cry over a talking racoon, I would have said you were making that up.

10. Movie that made you happy.

The Thief of Bagdad (1940) - Aside from the romantic orientalism, this was just plain awesome.  Considering that it was released in 1940, the special effects, the color, and the costumes look really good.  The mechanical flying horse and the magic carpet are something else.  Also, Amhad is good and all but the MVP of the movie is definitely Abu.  Conrad Veidt is also fantastic as Jaffar.

11. Best book to film adaptation?

Nimona (2023) - I loved the original graphic novel, but I think I actually prefer the movie adaptation.  As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect.  It's one of my favorite movies of 2023 so far as well.  I would love to see more of Ballister, Nimona, and Ambrosius again in the future.

Runner Up: Catherine Called Birdy (2022) - I watched this before I read the it's based on, but I can now officially say that I preferred the movie.  Bella Ramsay is fantasy in this movie, but Andrew Scott is the real scene stealer.  If you like Enola Holmes or A Knight's Tale, you'll probably love this too. 

12. Best book to tv adaptation?

Lockwood & Co. (2023) - I honestly couldn't have asked for a better adaptation, except for another season or two.

Runner Up: American Born Chinese (2023) - I really appreciated this graphic novel adaptation.  It's a fun adventure, but it handles the serious topics very well.  Everyone is great in their roles, but Jimmy Liu as Wei-chen is the real standout.  I really hope this show will get renewed for a second season.  if you haven't watched it yet, you're missing out.

13. Movie the made you laugh.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023) - This movie was just plain fun and the sense of humor totally worked for me.  I hope we get to see the Edgin, Holga, Simon, Doric, and Xenk again in the future.

14Movie that scared you.

Prince of Darkness (1987) - This was so atmospheric and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.  Plus, as a fan of Big Trouble in Little China it was good to see Dennis Dun and Victor Wong in this as well.

15. Best 2023 release so far?


16. Best Hidden Gem 

Silenced (2011) - This is a brutal must watch that's based on true events.  Gong Yoo gives a powerful performance.  It needs to be more well-known.  If you liked The Hunt with Mads Mikkelsen, I have a feeling you'll like this one too.


And that's a wrap for my Mid-Year Movie Freak Out 2023!  If you'd like to play along, share your link with me so I can see your responses!  Have you seen any of these?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread Books On My Shelves I Want To Read Soon

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I'd Like To Go On Vacation With