Skip to main content

2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #6

 

 Happy Sunday everyone and welcome to my sixth 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini reviews!  In June I read 4 books for a total of 34 out of 50 books for the 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge. I've made some great progress!  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the book I read in June:

 ❋ 
Seven Faceless Saints (Seven Faceless Saints #1) by M.K. Lobb is a solid YA fantasy series opener, but it didn't stand out as much as I hoped it would.  I think I was hoping for something more along the lines of Nevernight by Jay Kristoff than anything, but it just never quite managed it.  That said, I loved getting to know the characters, but I wish there wasn't a romance element to this story.

My review is also on Goodreads and I also read this for Pride Month 2023.


 ❋ ❋  
The Priory of the Orange Tree (The Roots of Chaos #1) by Samantha Shannon has been sitting on my TBR for way and I'm so happy I finally decided to read this.  It really blew me away - I loved pretty much every single things about it.  The world-building is absolutely outstanding and I couldn't get enough of the cast of characters.  I can't recommend this fantasy series opener enough and I can't wait to read the prequel and the upcoming sequel!

My review is also on Goodreads and I also read this for Pride Month 2023.


 ❋ 
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite movies growing up and I didn't realize it was based on a book until much more recently. I couldn't help but compare Who Censored Roger Rabbit? (Roger Rabbit #1) by Gary K. Wolf to the movie adaptation because it's so much different. Out of all of the changes one of the smaller ones that surprised me the most is that it's set in the present for when it was released in 1981 instead of 1947 like in the adaptation. I was also surprised that the toons are primarily in comics rather than in cartoons and that Roger is like 6 feet tall. While the book is a solid read, I definitely prefer the adaptation and I definitely rewatched it shortly after I finished listening to the audiobook.


My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 
I liked Get A Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters #1) by Talia Hibbert more than I expected to. I'm glad I decided to listen to the audiobook edition because Adjoa Andoh has such a great voice to bring the cast of characters to life. She easily earns a whole star for herself. As for the story itself, it's a solid three stars. It was easy to like both leads, but the story ran a little too long. For myself, I honestly could have completely done without the steaminess of the romance. That just isn't for me. I had this playing in my car to listen to while driving and I hate to think of the look on my face other random drivers probably saw me making during some of the particularly steamy parts. 

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you participating in this reading challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads