Skip to main content

Mid-Year Book Freak Out 2023

Happy Saturday and welcome to the Mid-Year Book Freak Out of 2023 everyone!  I've been taking part in this since 2015 - if you like you can check out my previous posts from 2015201620172018201920202021, and 2022.  It's always great to see what everyone else has been reading and enjoying via this tag and I know I'll be adding a lot of books to my already out of control TBR.  By the way, this tag was originally created by ReadLikeWildFire and Earl Grey Books. Without further ado, let's get to it:

1. Best book you've read so far in 2023.

Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley - I went into this almost blind and I can't recommend it enough.

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2023.

The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle #2) by Patrick Rothfuss - I put this off for way too long and I loved ever second of it.

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to.

Fourth Wing (The Empyrean #1) by Rebecca Yarros - I've seen this all over the place and I've heard only good things about it, so I can't wait to see what the hype is all about!

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.

The Fragile Threads of Power (The  Threads of Power #1) by V.E. Schwab - I don't think I can adequately express just how excited I am for this!

5. Biggest disappointment.

Long Live The Pumpkin Queen by Shea Earnshaw - I love the original movie, but this just doesn't have what makes the movie so iconic.

6. Biggest surprise.


AA Book of New Zealand Historic Places - I bought a copy of this 1984 book at a used book store and found a surprise between pages 102-3: a British Columbian lottery ticket from June 3rd 1987! I put it back where I found it so the people I passed it on to would get a little surprise too. 

7. Favorite new author (debut or new to you).
 
Isabel Cañas - I absolutely loved The Hacienda.  If you're at all interested in gothic horror, it is a must read.  I can't wait to read more from her in the future!

8. Newest fictional crush.

I don't have one.

9. Newest favorite character.

Loid, Anya, and Yor from Spy x Family by Tatsuya Endo - This has quickly become one of my all time favorite manga series and I love this little family so much!  I need to start watching the anime series soon.

10. Book that made you cry.

The Men With The Pink Triangle: The True Life-and-Death of Homosexuals in the Nazi Death Camps by Heinz Heger - Not just once but several times.  That said this is a must read history book.

11. Book that made you happy.

Spy x Family by Tatsuya Endo - I'm all caught up so far and I need more! 

Runner Up: The Way of the Househusband by Kousuke Oono - This is absolutely hilarious and I could read it forever.  The Netflix adaptation is a lot of fun, too.

12. Best book to film adaptation?

Movie: Nimona - I loved the original graphic novel, but I think I actually prefer the movie adaptation.  As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect.  It's one of my favorite movies of 2023 so far as well.  I would love to see more of Ballister, Nimona, and Ambrosius again in the future.

TV: Lockwood & Co. - I honestly couldn't have asked for a better adaptation, except for another season or two.

13. Favorite post you have done this year?

March 7th - Top Ten Tuesday: Book Characters I'd Like To Meet - I do enjoy making a good list and I got to feature a lot of my favorites here.

14. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received).

Threads That Bind (Threads That Bind #1) by Kira Hatzopoulou - Just look at it!

15. What books do you need to read by the end of this year?

Bella Poldark (Poldark #12) by Winston Graham - I love this series so much and I'm not ready for it to end.  

16. Best hidden gem.

The Buried and the Bound (The Buried and the Bound Trilogy #1) by Rochelle Hassan - This is a brilliant YA fantasy and I honestly can't believe it isn't more well know.


Have you read any of these books?  What are some of your favorite reads of 2023 so far?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. The Wise Man's Fear was so good! I should reread it, it's been years😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Here's to hoping book three will come out someday soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread Books On My Shelves I Want To Read Soon

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I'd Like To Go On Vacation With