Skip to main content

The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist - Review


❋

Veronika. Caroline. Isobel. Eleanor. Four identical girls (except for their hair colors) who spend their days doing the same thing in order to learn by their two adult keepers. But when May, a very different kind of girl—the lone survivor of a recent shipwreck—suddenly and mysteriously arrives on the island, an unsettling mirror is about to be held up to the life the girls have never before questioned.

You know, I think the cover is what got me on this one - that and the fact that is was only $1.99 at Ollie's...and you know the description on the dust jacket doesn't sound too bad. Turns out I only made it through the first chapter (nearly 20 pages). What is called a "stark directness and straightforward tone" on the dust jacket, I call highly tedious. It was so slow, boring, and repetitive that I gave up after only 20 pages. If that's how it opens, I wonder how the rest of it comes across... Even though it extremely repetitive, I had a hard time remembering the characters names - good thing they were in the blurb, I guess.

I tried, but The Different Girl just isn't for me.


I attempted to read this on December 31, 2014 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books On My Fall 2026 TBR

Friday Book Snippets: Cackle by Rachel Harrison