Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.  As soon as this arrived at my library, I knew I wanted to give this a try - I mean, Ruth Ware's new novel (my first) has been billed as very Gillian Flynn and Paula Hawkins-esque mystery thriller.  I've only read through the prologue and first two chapters so far, but I'm particularly enjoying the intensity.  I'm pretty sure I look like this while reading it, too!


Beginning:

The room was like a perfect replica of a drawing room in a five-star hotel, or a reception room on the QE2, but it was small.  In my dream, the girl was drifting, far, far below the crashing waves and the cries of the gulls in the cold, sunless depths of the North Sea.  Her laughing eyes were white and bloated with salt water; her pale skin was wrinkled; her clothes ripped by jagged rocks and disintegrating into rags.

56:

There could not have been more than twelve or fifteen people in the room, and yet they filled the space, and even the chandelier was scaled down to fit.  It gave the strangest impression - a little like looking in through the doorway of a doll's house, where everything is miniaturized and yet slightly off-kilter, the replica cushions a little too large and stiff for the tiny chairs, the wineglasses the same size as the fake champagne bottle.

Comments

  1. I have a hold on The Woman in Cabin 10 at the library. It sounds great -- thanks for sharing the beginning/56.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so intense! I hope you'll enjoy it!

      Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great read. Thanks for telling us about it, and for visiting me today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is on my Desperately Want to Read list. And your snippets just made it worse. Can't wait! Hope you enjoy it and that you have a great weekend. Here's my Friday Meets:
    http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/friday-meets-26-august-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 56 has me curious. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsDOAPC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good. Made me wonder about this place they are in with such small rooms... lol... Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cruise ship, but a smaller one - meant to be somewhere around the size of a large yacht. :)

      Delete
  6. I have been eyeing this one, and since I love a good mystery, I'm sure it will find its way onto my shelves. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy it! Thanks for visiting my blog, as well.

      Delete
  7. Interesting writing in the snippets. I have been so busy I have not been watching new books coming out so I missed this one. I will have to check the library for it. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to this one and didn't like it as much as most people but it was still good. It confused me in some places when they did their mainland parts. Hope you enjoy it! :)

    Stormi
    Friday memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, you're making me wonder about the production on audio. I wish you had liked it more.

      Thanks for sharing, Stormi.

      Delete
  9. My book budget is blown so I'm waiting on a list at the library. What a compelling opening and such an eerie excerpt. I want to read it right now!
    MY Friday 56 from Alpha Unleashed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically as soon as I could I put it on the hold list for myself, too! Luckily, I got it pretty quick. :)

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  10. This one sounds like a good one. May have to put it on my Octover TBR. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting snippets. This one hasn't crossed my radar, so now I want to go investigate.

    Thanks for sharing the beginning on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOO I can't wait to read this one. I just bought it so I hope it's good. ENJOY!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds very intriguing. Thanks for sharing and visiting my blog! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cover art and the photo you shared. I'd like to know more about the lady on the cruise ship. The beginning snippet is so descriptive! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so much want to read this, but right now my reading schedule if full to the brim. maybe for Christmas! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early