Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book One by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Illustrated by Brian Stelfreeze + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my next reads, Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book One by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Illustrated by Brian Stelfreeze.  This graphic novel will fulfill the task of a comic written or illustrated by a person of color task for Book Riot's 2018 Read Harder Challenge.  I don't know much about the character, but I'm really excited to try this.  I really like the character in Captain America: Civil War and I can't wait to see Black Panther!


Beginning:



56:


50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Book Read In 2017


Worst - The Book Jumper by Mechthild Glaser - I don't know if it was strictly speaking the worst, but it was definitely one of the most disappointing.  There was so much potential, but it just didn't live up to it at all unfortunately.


Best - It's a hard choice, but I loved An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors by Curtis Craddock - it was such a pleasant surprise!

Have you read any of these books yet?  As always thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps event commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I would like to read more graphic novels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors for the win😁 Also, I'm loving the artwork of Black Panther (have you seen the movie trailer?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a graphic novel, but do have one on my stacks. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your book beginning looks super awesome, I really want that. lol Wondering if Amazon is the place to go?

    Here is mine: https://wp.me/pEZs7-x5d

    Happy Friday Fun! Enjoy yourself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cool that you chose a graphic novel! Enjoy and have a great weekend :) Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awesome! I can't wait to see the film! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are enjoying this graphic novel. This week I have A Merciful Secret by Kendra Elliot - one from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the cover of The Black Panther. I hope to get to the second volume of Monstress this year. I can't believe I haven't read it yet. I was so quick buy a copy when it first came out.

    I haven't read your best and worst, but both are on my radar. I especially want to read An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors. Not so much The Book Jumper after reading your thoughts on it. I hope you have a great weekend, Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try the second volume of Monstress as well - I can't wait to try it either.

      An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors is awesome - hope you like it!

      Delete
  9. Hi Lauren,

    Whilst you and I obviously don't generally read from the same genres, I still enjoy checking out the books you share.

    It is such a shame that you didn't enjoy 'The Book Jumper', as it seemed to have such great potential when you have featured it previously.

    If I had to choose between the two books, I still believe that I would read 'The Book Jumper' over 'An Alchemy Of Masques And Mirrors' - Both titles are amazing by the way.

    I also don't read comic books, although I admire the excellent illustrations with which they are filled. I realise that much of the artwork is probably generated on the computer, but the vision and talent of a good illustrator is always a joy to see.

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked like it would have been awesome, but it just didn't hit the mark for me. An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors though was absolutely marvelous! Thanks for coming over, Yvonne!

      Delete
  10. Wasn't aware of The Black Panther book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea, but he's been around since the 1960s - plenty of changes over that time though... :)

      Delete
  11. I haven't heard of your 50/50 Friday selections before. I will have to check out An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors by Curtis Craddock. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe I haven't heard of An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors before. It sounds amazing! Adding it to my wishlist now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't gotten nearly enough buzz - in my opinion! I hope you like it!

      Delete
  13. It has been a while since I have read a graphic novel! Those images are incredible. I hope that you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Black Panther book looks like interesting background, especially with the movie coming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, yes. I am so stoked for Black Panther. Happy weekend, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be awesome! I hope you had a good one!

      Delete
  16. I haven't read any graphic novels, but this looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found a lot of great stories in the format myself. :)

      Delete
  17. An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors sounds so good! I love anything that involves science fiction, fantasy, or old-timey spellings of anything :) I'll definitely have to check this one out soon! Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd love it Laura! :)

      Thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  18. Graphic novels are fun. My girls also enjoy them. Thanks for visiting my blog on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to get my hands on some Black Panther graphic novels and comics! The artwork is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh nooo I am so sad that The Book Jumper is bad! The cover is gorgeous so I had high hopes. 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm going to have to check out An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors for sure!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early