Skip to main content

Book Riot's 2018 Read Harder Challenge - January Update: Black Panther & Revival


Wow! It doesn't seem like today is the last of the first month of 2018 - and that means 2 out of the 24 tasks for Book Riot's 2018 Read Harder Challenge are complete!  The tasks I completed required me to read a comic written or illustrated by a person of color and a one-sitting book.  For the tasks, I selected Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 1 by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze and Revival, Deluxe Collection Volume 1 by Tim Seeley respectively.  Read on to see my mini reviews and what's next for February:


❋ 

I'll admit it, I'm only really familiar with the Blank Panther from his fantastic onscreen appearance in Captain America: Civil War and I know as good as nothing about the character in the comics. I can't wait to see Black Panther at the movies and I was hoping that this graphic novel could give me some more insight on his story. Although, this is book one of a new run for the character I felt completely out of the loop throughout the entire story. It seems like I'm in the middle of a well established series, or that starting here simply requires a much more intimate knowledge of the character and his world than I have. It's also quite slowly paced, so it's a real slog when you don't have half a clue as to what's what. Anyway, though, the art is fantastic and I particularly enjoyed how colorful T'Challa's world is on the page. Even though I didn't have the best experience here, I still want to try another comic featuring the character - and hope for better luck. Either way, I'm still beyond excited for the upcoming movie!


I read this graphic novel from January 15 - 16, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋  

Ever since Chew introduced me to Revival, I knew I had to get my hands on this rural noir horror graphic novel. The two are quite different in style, but I'm so glad I decided to give this a shot because I think I can safely say that it's now a new favorite. While the "revivers" are technically zombies, I love how it doesn't go in more of a traditional route with them. Instead it's a very tight mystery with paranormal horror elements, but it's definitely noir at its core. It's great trying to put things together with the unique cast. By the way, this story features some fantastic character development, and brilliant artwork. I can't wait to continue on with this graphic novel series! I really hope the plans for the adaptation go through because this has so much potential as a film (or tv series) - I wouldn't say no to Naveen Andrews taking on the part of Ibrahaim Ramin!

I read this graphic novel on January 16, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.




Next up for February:

A comic that isn’t published by Marvel, DC, or Image 


My choice: Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction by Mike Mignola - I love the movies, and I'd like to try Mignola's original series!

A comic written and illustrated by the same person 


My choice: Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel - This sounds like a fascinating graphic memoir - I don't know all that much about it, but I've been told that I absolutely must read it so many times.  What better than to tackle it as a part of this challenge?


Congrats if you made it this far!  Have you read any of these books or have you taken on Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge before?  Thanks as always for visiting my blog, and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I'm dying to read Fun House, I bought a copy when it first came out. Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hold came in a bit sooner than expected so I'll be getting to it in a bit! :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely seeing some new reading material for me. Good luck with the challenge.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly haven't even looked at Book Riot's 2018 challenge yet, but you've gotten me interested. The Black Panther comics look fantastic! And I'm interested in seeing what you think of Fun Home - the musical was a huge hit a few years back.
    Thanks for the shares and good luck with your challenge!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to try it, I'd love to know what you'll be tackling. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited to Black Panther in theaters!! Like you, I don't really know that much about him (beside the previews look freaking fantastic) so I think you've got the right idea by reading some of his comics (I've got to read some by release day!). Still, how you mentioned that it felt like you jumped right into the middle of a story is one of the reasons I never really got into comic books. I just don't have that type of time commitment! Still, I may have to make an exception.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic sounds great! I can't wait to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be getting to it fairly soon, so we'll see! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early