Skip to main content

2017 End Of Year Book Survey


Welcome to the 2017 End of Year Book Survey, hosted by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner!  This is actually my third time taking part - check out my posts from 2015 and 2016, if you dare.  Anyway, without further ado, let's get to the tag:


Number Of Books You Read: 216

Number of Re-Reads: Only 1, as far as I know.

Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy, followed by YA, and Sci-Fi - No surprise there!


1. Best Book You Read In 2017?






I read so many fantastic books this year, but some of my favorite 2017 releases include The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee, An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors by Curtis Craddock, and A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab.  I actually made a Top Ten Tuesday post about my favorites, if you want to see a few more - which includes some backlist titles.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?



The Book Jumper by Mechthild Gläser - The concept of jumping into books and interacting with characters is awesome, but the execution of the story really wasn't unfortunately...

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?



Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock - This was a 2017 Read Harder Challenge book that I wasn't really expecting much from but I wound up being pleasantly surprised by it.  In my defense, though, it does feature football and the cover certainly doesn't do it any favors.  Either way, though, if you're looking for a great contemporary you should definitely give it a shot.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?





See my answer to my favorite reads of 2017 up above!  Otherwise, though, I really pushed Want by Cindy Pon, It's Not Like It's A Secret by Misa Sugiura, Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, and The Lost City of Z by David Grann.

5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?


Starter: An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors (Risen Kingdoms #1) by Curtis Craddock - This is the first in the Risen Kingdoms series and I was absolutely blown away!


Sequel: Lair of Dreams (The Diviners #2) by Libba Bray - I've read the first three books in this series so far this year and each has easily been a five star read, but the second one has been my favorite.  I loved getting more of Henry and our introduction to Ling is excellent.


Ender: A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3) by V.E. Schwab - I couldn't have asked for a better conclusion to one of my all time favorite series!

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?


Curtis Craddock - I'm definitely going to have to go with the author of An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors which was one of my favorite reads of the year.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?


Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock - I'm definitely going to have to go with this YA Contemporary that features football - I totally didn't expect to fall in love with it as much as I did.  Like I said before, just ignore that terrible cover.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?


A Torch Against the Night (Ember Quartet #2) by Sabaa Tahir - I sped through this in one day!  I couldn't stop myself!

9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?


I don't reread often, but I would really like to hear the audiobook production of Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo - I bet it would be awesome!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?


There's some tough competition this year, but I'd say the prize goes to Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1) by Jay Kristoff!

11. Most memorable character of 2017?


Kaz Brekker certainly lived up to the hype!  I don't know why I waited so long to start Six of Crows...

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?


I couldn't have asked for anything better than A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3) by V.E. Schwab!

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?


Hands down The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas!

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?


Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith was released in 2010 - I have no clue why I never read it earlier since I've been interested in the WASP for ages...

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?

“Anoshe was a word for strangers in the street, and lovers between meetings, for parents and children, friends and family. It softened the blow of leaving. Eased the strain of parting. A careful nod to the certainty of today, the mystery of tomorrow. When a friend left, with little chance of seeing home, they said anoshe. When a loved one was dying, they said anoshe. When corpses were burned, bodies given back to the earth and souls to the stream, those left grieving said anoshe.

Anoshe brought solace. And hope. And the strength to let go.”

-from A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?


Shortest: Danny and the Little Worm by Mia Coulton - 16 pages - This is for real (a dog and his worm friend play), seriously!


Longest: The Mists of Avalon (Avalon #1) by Marion Zimmer  Bradley - 876 pages - Absolutely brilliant Arthurian retelling!

17. Book That Shocked You The Most


Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare - If you've read this, I expect you'll understand why I picked this one!

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)


Kell and Lila from A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab - This might be my new favorite piece of fan art by the way!

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year



Henry and Ling from Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray - Their friendship is one of my favorite things about the second Diviners novel!

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously


A Conjuring of Light - no question!

21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:


Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford - This is a friend of mine's favorite and I read it solely on her recommendation - it's very good, by the way!

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?


Kaz Brekker - You have to admit, he's pretty charismatic and fascinating even though he's the ruthless gang leader!

23. Best 2017 debut you read?


The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - Easily takes the cake when it comes to YA debuts of 2017!

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?


The world-building in An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors (Risen Kingdoms #1) by Curtis Craddock is absolutely stunning, sprawling, and immersive!

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?


Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare - It was so great to see so many favorites (old and new) back - and James Marsters's narration was awesome.  It was an honor to hear him give voice to Jace!

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?


I definitely got more than a little misty eyed during Half Lost (The Half Bad Trilogy #3) by Sally Green!

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?


The Last to See Me by M. Dressler - This September 2017 release currently has only 149 ratings on Goodreads which is really surprising to me (I just happened to stumble upon it in the BookPage).  I mean, it's like Kazuo Ishiguro tackled a paranormal featuring a ghost hunter and a ghost that's just trying to hang on to herself in a world where most ghosts have already been exorcised by hunters.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?


King's Cage (Red Queen #3) by Victoria Aveyard - Unfortunately, I just can't do it with this series anymore.  I thought it was supposed to be a trilogy, but it's been stretched out.  It was a chore to get through this - I don't think I'll be back for the next one.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?


Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors (Risen Kingdoms #1) by Curtis Craddock already, you won't regret it!

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?


Autonomous by Andy Marino - This is the only 2018 YA release (April 3rd) I've read so far and let's just say the description is misleading and it didn't help that pretty much all of the characters grated on my nerves.  If I hadn't received it from NetGalley I would have DNF'd it.  


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?

I usually have a hard time keeping track of this, but I'm going with Erica @ Erica Robyn Reads this year (by the way, she just celebrated her one year blogoversary)!  If you haven't check out her blog yet, what are you waiting for?

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?


An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors by Curtis Craddock - This novel is also one of my favorite fantasy novels released this year!  It has so much to love about it and I absolutely need more of Craddock's world!


A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3) by V.E. Schwab - I couldn't have asked for a better series finale and I tried my best to write a coherent review of it.  I also got creative and shared my dream cast of the novel with my review!

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?


One of my favorite posts to write was a Top Ten Tuesday about my favorite Alfred Hitchcock movies - if there's one thing I like talking about aside from books it's Hitchcock movies!

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

Sci-Fi Month 2017 was fantastic - I'm glad I came back again for it this year!

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?


There have been quite a few, but I've really started using NetGalley and I was so excited when I managed to get approved for Artemis by Andy Weir - you can check out my review of it here!

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

As usual it's just finding the time for everything - I'm just glad I can schedule ahead of time!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Aside from a giveaway post, the most popular from 2017 was published January 17th - Top Ten Tuesday: Hidden Gem Books I've Read In The Past Year Or So with 515 views (as of now).

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?



Titian's Wrath by Rhett C. Bruno - I published this ARC review on December 10th and so far it stands at only 44 views.  I've read a few of Bruno's sci-fi novels and they are always fantastic.  They definitely deserve more attention.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

A couple of weeks ago I discovered that my area is getting a Walls of Books store - and that it's supposed to open up for business in another couple of weeks.  It sounds like it's going to be something along the lines of a Half Price Books!  I can't wait to check it out - me and some friends are already making plans!

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

This year I completed the Goodreads Reading Challenge - my goal was 200!  I'm also really pleased to report that I completed Book Riot's 2017 Read Harder Challenge, which was a fantastic experience - I'll be coming back for that again in 2018!  I also managed to earn a few bingos in bingo challenges I took part in, as well.


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?


The Dire King (Jackaby #4) by William Ritter - This is the final book in one of my favorite series, and I'm just not ready for it to end... but I need to know what happens!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?


Impostor Syndrome (The Arcadia Project #3) by Mishell Baker - Release date: March 13th
This urban fantasy series is absolutely amazing and I can't wait to read book three!  I mean, the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, conspiracies, Hollywood, a diverse cast of characters lead brilliantly by Millie, who is physically disabled and has borderline personality disorder - if you don't think that doesn't sound like a cool combination, I don't know what does!

3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?


Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha #1) by Tomi Adeyemi - Release date: March 6th
I made a blog post about this earlier this week, but I'd say I'm the most hype up for this YA Fantasy!

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?


Obsidio (The Illuminae Files #3) by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff - I'm dying for this series ender!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?

I've been thinking about giving my blog a bit of a redesign - still trying to work out what that may entail as of yet.  I'm also going to be taking part in Book Riot's 2018 Read Harder Challenge - you can see my potential tbr here!  I'm also trying a new-to-me challenge the #BeatTheBacklist 2018.  You can see more about that and my plans for it here.

6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):

I've only read one 2018 YA release so far, but I can't say I'd recommend it (see my answer to question 30).


If you've made it this far congratulations!  What were some of your favorites of 2017?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Yeah for Genie Lo! And I also was so pleasantly surprised by Dairy Queen. I need to read the last book and maybe the companion too. I quit Red Queen after the second book. It was a struggle to finish and there are too many books I really want to read to waste the time. I had a major reveal in LoS spoiled for me by the moderator at BookCon. I thought people was going to start stoning her or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! Genie Lo was so awesome! I'll definitely have to try more Murdock. I wouldn't blame those people at all!

      Delete
  2. Oh man Lauren, you've got me excited for Ago I now!

    And I agree about Ling and Henry; poor Henry made me cry when reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great books on this list! I love the Curtis Craddick gets so many mentions😊 He deserves it. And I'm super excited for Obsidio and The Imposter Syndrome too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 216 books? I wish I could do that. I love A Conjuring of Light, too. Great end to a great series. Happy New Year!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a great reading year. And have read some pretty great sounding books.
    My answers Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great survey! The Hate U Give made my favorites list too. I'm eyeing your other ones and thinking I must read those as well. I'm sorry The Book Jumper by Mechthild Gläser wasn't better. I just love that cover. I love the sound of An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors (Risen Kingdoms #1) by Curtis Craddock. I will definitely have to check that one out. I still haven't started Libba Bray's series. I hope you have a great 2018, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book Jumper had so much potential! I'd love to know what you think of An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors - so cool! Thanks very much - have a great one!

      Delete
  7. I remember wanting to talk about and push others to read The Lost City of Z, too. I also noticed that you have a lot of books as favorites that i keep telling myself I need to read. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this tag so much! I agree, finding the time can be super difficult! There's so much more I would love to do on my blog but just don't have the time for.

    ReplyDelete

  9. If you are Looking for complete
    Dairy Queen Survey? Or Do you want to take
    Dairy Queen Customer satisfaction survey or want to give Dairy Queen Guest Feedback?
    Here I in this post I have given step by step guide for complete
    Dairy Queen customer satisfaction survey and Dairy Queen guest feedback



    Dairy Queen Survey



    Dairy Queen guest feedback



    Dairy Queen customer satisfaction survey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time. I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you

    krogerfeedback.com fuel survey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. robert parfet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books I've Read For Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge