Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Cold Days by Jim Butcher + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting my current read for #BeatTheBacklist2018 (I'm specifically focusing on continuing series) which is Cold Days (The Dresden Files #14) by Jim Butcher. This is one of my all time favorite series and I am so excited to jump back into this series!

Beginning:

Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, has unique ideas regarding physical therapy.

56:

"I've been waiting to see that expression on his face all night," the Redcap said to Sarissa. "Isn't it priceless? What's going to happen? I'm so interested."

50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Book You Read In December


Worst - There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins - This only earned one star from me and I was actually very close to DNF'ing it. It's billed as YA horror, but it's more like romance with a bit of mystery and thriller elements.


Best - I had a great reading month with seven five star reads, but I have to mention Before the Devil Breaks You by Libba Bray. It's the third book in the Diviners series which just keeps getting better and better! I can't wait until the fourth book in this historical fantasy horror series is released!


As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I can't believe I haven't started The Dresden Files! Im so behind😐 Hope you enjoy the latest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so cool! You're definitely missing out, Tammy! :)

      Delete
  2. I've never read anything even slightly close to a historical fantasy horror series but that string of adjectives has me hooked! I'm a fan of all of those things separately (granted, I haven't read that many horror novels but I've enjoyed a fair amount of the ones I've read) so why not try them all together! I'll definitely be looking into reading The Diviners sometime soon! Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would like it, Laura! :)

      Thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  3. I love this series too. It might be time to schedule in a reread. This week I'm reading The English Wife by Lauren Willig. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun isn't it! :)

      Thanks for visiting, Kathy!

      Delete
  4. I've read a few of the Dresden Files and really enjoyed them. I don't know why I haven't read more. Maybe I should!

    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested too... lol... sounds like a good read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #14 in a series. It almost sounds like a graphic novel series, it is so long. Glad you are back with a favorite. I am read nonfiction this week: Dreaming the Beatles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, it's consistently fantastic! :)

      Thanks for sharing, Anne!

      Delete
  7. Oh this looks good! I've heard great things about this series though that #14 scares me off a little. I've heard some really bad reviews for Someone in the House and decided to skip it. I was really excited about it because while I don't read much YA I was always a fan of the old school pre-Goosebump RL Stine books and I thought this might be similar. Sounds like not even close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for skipping that one - save yourself. I loved Goosebumps and Fear Street so much when I was younger - if only!

      But, yes, you should really try the series, it's definitely a good one to binge! :)

      Delete
  8. I like how fun Cold Days sounds from the excerpt. I've been skeptical of Perkin's thriller because of the mixed reviews. Will probably ultimately skip that one. Happy weekend! Hope you are surviving without wifi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't blame you one bit there!

      It takes some getting used to, I tell ya!

      Delete
  9. I so behind with the Dresden Files. I love the series though. I need to hiiry up and start the Diviners series. I am so glad you love the third book! Have a great week, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read this, but I've always wanted to give them a go.

    So sorry I hadn't posted. I honestly thought I had. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. All new authors to me. Nice covers. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been on the fence about There's Someone Inside Your House. Maybe I will pass on it after hearing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early