Skip to main content

Sci-Fi Month 2020 - Sunday Funday: Week 3 Update


Happy Sunday Funday and welcome to my third weekly update for Sci-Fi Month 2020!  Sci-Fi Month is a month long celebration of all things sci-fi and it's hosted by Lisa @ Dear Geek Place and Imyril @ One More. (Image credit: Photo by Tithi Luadthong on 123RF.com with a quote from Seven Devils by Elizabeth May and Laura Lam).  We're now more than half through the month and overall I'd say I've made a real dent in my tbr and watchlist so far, especially my watchlist this week.  Keep reading to see what I've gotten up to since my first update and my update from this this time last week:

My Sci-Fi Month Posts This Week:

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Sci-Fi Pets

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Necrotech (SINless #1) by K.C. Alexander

What I Watched This Week:

 ❋  ❋  

I've now completed the entire first season of Dark and I can officially say that I'm hooked.  I obsessively binged the second half of the season.  Yes, it can be confusing at times, but it's one of those shows that you absolutely have to stick with because it really delivers.  It's hands down one of the best new to me shows I've decided to watch this year.  I'm so happy there are two more seasons to enjoy.  My favorite character is easily Jonas and I can't wait to see what's next for him. 


 ❋  

The Host is my 5th Bong Joon-ho and my 4th Song Kang-ho movie.  They really hold a special place in my heart.  I love the variety of their films.  This is so much more than just a creature feature.  It may be my least favorite of their filmography so far, but it's still pretty outstanding.  It's definitely a must watch if you're a fan of sci-fi horror.


 ❋  

I Am Not Okay With This only had one season of seven episodes before it was cancelled and I wish that there was more to it.  Each episode is in the neighborhood of 20-25 minutes so it's very easy to speed through this series.  After an episode I became pretty attached to the characters - they seem so authentic.  If you're looking for a great YA tv series, look no further.  If only it didn't end on that cliffhanger.  Sophia Lillis and Wyatt Oleff give fantastic performances as Sydney and Stan.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of them in the future.  I know the series was based on a graphic novel, but I'd love to see YA novel series continuation of the tv series.  


 ❋ 

I've only watched the first episode of season one so far.  It hasn't quite sucked me in yet, but there's a lot of potential so I'll definitely be back for more of this dystopian thriller.  So far it's really giving me Divergent meets The Hunger Games vibes.  


What I Finished Reading This Week:

 ❋ 

Ruse (Want #2) by Cindy Pon is a solid wrap up to this YA sci-fi dystopia duology, but never never quite hooked me as much as Want.  If you enjoyed what was set up in that first installment from the world to the characters, you'll definitely want to come back to see how it all ends here.  It's a good read, but it didn't manage to impress me as much as the first.  The message isn't quite as hard hitting and the stakes aren't quite as high either.  Plus, I really wish Lingyi had more perspective chapters or was the lead of the novel.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  

Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #2) by Tamsyn Muir is a great follow up to Gideon the Ninth.  The first book in the series was one of my favorites of the year so my expectations were absolutely sky high to see what was up next.  It didn't quite meet all of my expectations and I didn't quite enjoy my reading experience as much in comparison.  It took me longer to get into the style of this one and Harrow's voice and I felt somewhat out of the loop.  Anyway, all that said this is still a fantastic sequel that deserves just as much love as its predecessor.  I can't wait for the third book and whatever else Tamsyn Muir decides to write.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 

The Peripheral (Jackpot #1) by William Gibson just never quite worked for me.  I liked the idea of this cyberpunk story, but not so much the execution.  I didn't care one way or another about any of the characters and I was primarily confused when I really shouldn't have been.  Maybe I just needed a glossary or a better explanation of certain things early on.  

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you been taking part in Sci-Fi Month?  Have you read or watched any of these books, movies, or shows?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early