Skip to main content

2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #9 & Mini Reviews

Happy Friday everyone and welcome to my ninth 2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini reviews!  I completed 4 books this September for a grand total of 43 of 50 books finished for the 2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge.  I can't believe I've only got 7 more books to read before I complete this yearly challenge!  Without further ado, here are my thoughts on the books I completed in August for this challenge in the order I read them in:

❋ ❋ ❋ 

A Vow So Bold & Deadly (Curseworkers #3) by Brigid Kemmerer is a good finale to what has been a fun fairytale retelling trilogy of Beauty and the Beast. While this book still didn't manage to reach the impressive heights of the original novel, it still wraps up the story well. I lost a lot of love for Rhen in the first book, so I'm glad he had the chance for some redemption here. I also lost a little more interest in Harper throughout the series. Grey was still easily my favorite. He has probably the most intriguing arc of anyone here. One of these days I need to get caught up on the rest of Brigid Kemmerer's work.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ 

The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic #0.2) by Alice Hoffman is a good prequel.  It's been so long since I've read Practical Magic or have seen the movie that this was practically all new to me.  I will say that it was a fun world to visit, but the pacing is fairly slow and meandering  I really ought to try that original novel and its adaptation a chance again in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ 

King of Fools (The Shadow Game #2) by Amanda Foody is a fine sequel.  Approximately halfway through the audiobook though I realized that I just wasn't as invested in the story or the characters this time around.  I don't know if it's the format or what, but I just wasn't as hooked.  I haven't decided if I'll return for the grand finale in Queen of Volts.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes #1) by Laurie R. King is a book I should have read a long time ago.  I really enjoyed this and I have a feeling the series is just going to get better as it goes along.  I've read a lot of great Holmes pastiches and I liked where the author took this one.  Plus, the audiobook production is fantastic.  I can't wait to see what's next in the sequel, A Monstrous Regiment of Women.

My also on Goodreads.


Are you taking part in the Popsugar Reading Challenge this year?  Have your read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early