Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Magical Readathon: Orilium - The Novice Path - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

 

Happy Sunday everyone!  This September I took part in the all new iteration of the Magical Readathon, hosted by G. @ Book Roast called Orilium - The Novice Path.  In order to successfully complete the readathon, the first part of the larger readathon next year, you needed to complete at least 2 prompts.  I was aiming for all seven on my original TBR, but managed to complete only 5.  I'd still say that's a great effort.  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I completed for this readathon:

The Novice Path Entrance - Read a book with a map
❋ ❋ 
City of Broken Magic (Chronicles of Amicae #1) by Mirah Bolender was a solid fantasy novel with a creative magic system.  I was really hoping that I was going to love it, but it was only alright.  I think I set my expectations a little too high for it.  It was definitely too long and it could have benefited from tighter pacing and world-building.  I was expecting this to be more of an urban fantasy novel, but it isn't set in our world but something somewhat similar.  I think I would classify it somewhere between urban fantasy and industrial fantasy (like Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett).  Overall, I haven't decided if I'll be back for the rest of this series in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Ruin of Skye - Rea a book that features ghosts, haunted houses, or supernatural things
❋ 
The House by Bentley Little is my first full length novel by this author and it just wasn't quite for me. I wasn't invested in any of the characters and it took way too long to get going. On that same note, it's also too long and there are elements that just come across as totally unnecessary.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Obsidian Falls - Read a thriller/ mystery.
❋ ❋ ❋ 
The Cousins by Karen M. McManus  is another great addition to the YA mystery thriller genre.  I do enjoy this author's brand.  I wasn't quite as on the edge of my seat in anticipation this time around as it doesn't lean as hard into the thriller element, but I appreciated the twists and turns.  Also this time around it's just a little less relatable and I didn't particularly like any of the characters, but it goes quick, it's fun, and it keeps you guessing.  

My review is also on Goodreads.


Tower of Rumination - Read a 5 star prediction
❋ ❋ ❋ 
Something From the Nightside (Nightside #1) by Simon R. Green has been on my tbr for so long.  I'm glad I've finally crossed it off because that was such a cool intro to John Taylor's world.  I really got a kick out of this author's brand of urban fantasy and noir.  I think this series could easily become and all time favorite.  I can't wait to continue this series with Agents of Light and Darkness.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Orilium Arc - Read a book with a school setting
❋ 
I was expecting something different from The Dante Club (The Dante Club #1) by Matthew Pearl than what I ended up with.  It took a very long time for me to get into this book and by the time I did it was practically over with.  It certainly has atmosphere and Pearl definitely did his research, but the characters are where it really lost me.  I won't be back for the sequel.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Did you participate in this revamped readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Karen M. McManus is an author I keep meaning to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I finished City of Broken Magic, it just wasn't going anywhere. Looks like you had some good reads, though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early