Skip to main content

Magical Hop-A-Thon - Wrap Up & Mini Review


Today I'm featuring my wrap up and mini reviews for the Magical Hop-A-Thon which ran the entire month of October and was hosted by Rachel (@rachelceryx_xo).  You can check out my original TBR here.  This was such a fun way to celebrate Disney World's 50th Anniversary.  I didn't manage to read nearly as much as I was hoping to for this challenge - I got really busy, but for the most part I liked what I ended up reading.  I managed to read five books - I visited Disney's Hollywood Studios and completed my read for the entrance ticket for Disney's Animal Kingdom.  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I completed for the Magical-Hop-A-Thon:

❋ ❋ ❋ 
Have I ever mentioned how much I missed the tv adaptation of The Passage (The Passage #1) by Justin Cronin?  I miss it so much.  Now that I've read the book that it's based on, I see just how much I missed out on.  Honestly, though, I think I preferred the first 250 or so pages of the book for Wolgast and Amy.  I may have to continue this series soon.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

While I didn't quite love The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Magic by C.M. Waggoner as much as <i>Unnatural Magic</i>, it was awesome to return to that world and meet some cool new characters. I can't wait to see more from this author in the future.  These novels deserve so much more attention and I know this author has quite a career ahead of her.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon (Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota #1) by Larry Millett was a solid new to me Holmes series opener.  It's not a favorite, but there were elements I really enjoyed.  It started off really well, but it didn't quite manage to keep up throughout.  Millet did a great job bringing Holmes and Watson to life and it was fun seeing them in such a different setting.  I think I might have to continue on with the series because I think it can only improve.  By the way, there was a moment that really reminded me of Netflix's Enola Holmes adaptation.  About a third away from the book a character named Mrs. Robinson tells Sherlock: "But then, being a wealthy Englishman, I suppose the status quo suits you perfectly." 

My review is also on Goodreads and my blog.

❋ ❋ ❋ 

I think The Six-Gun Tarot (Golgotha #1) by R.S. Belcher was almost exactly the kind fantasy western I needed.  Historical fantasy is one of my favorite genres and I really liked how the author used the Old West.  Plus, I really enjoyed getting to know the colorful cast of - as much as I liked Jim, I really liked Maude.  I don't know about you, but I need to continue this series and return to the forsaken town of Golgotha in The Shotgun Arcana.

My review is also on Goodreads and my blog.


❋ 
Murder In Matera: A True Story of Passion, Family, and Forgiveness in Southern Italy by Helene Stapinski wasn't bad, but I suppose I was just expecting something much different than what I ended up getting from this crime memoir.  I did like learning how the author traced her family back and began researching, but I wish it was less fictionalized (since there were no direct records like journals or anything from the family members in question).  Now that I've completed the book, I almost wish that this memoir was developed as a novel based on her family's past exploits rather than as it was.  

My review is also on Goodreads.


Did you take part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books I've Read For Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge