Skip to main content

2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #10 & Mini Reviews

Happy Halloween everyone and welcome to my tenth and final 2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini reviews!  I completed 7 books this October for a grand total of 50 books finished for the 2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge.  I'd say I had a yearly challenge and got in some great books!  Without further ado, here are my thoughts on the books I completed in October for this challenge in the order I read them in:

❋ ❋ ❋ 

The Boy Who Steals Houses by C.G. Drews  is a great sophomore novel.  She has a lot of skill when it comes to really making you feel for her cast of characters.  It's tough read at times, but it has excellent mental health representation.  Personally, I think I preferred the before segments to the now.  I hope we'll get to see more from Cait in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ 

Audiobook DNF'd @ 10%

I thought perhaps a change of format might improve my reading experience for Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy #1) by Emily A. Duncan.  Unfortunately, it still wasn't working for me. I wasn't a fan of the first narrator and the story still wasn't grabbing me.  It's time to just move on.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon (Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota #1) by Larry Millett was a solid new to me Holmes series opener.  It's not a favorite, but there were elements I really enjoyed.  It started off really well, but it didn't quite manage to keep up throughout.  Millet did a great job bringing Holmes and Watson to life and it was fun seeing them in such a different setting.  I think I might have to continue on with the series because I think it can only improve.  By the way, there was a moment that really reminded me of Netflix's Enola Holmes adaptation.  About a third away from the book a character named Mrs. Robinson tells Sherlock: "But then, being a wealthy Englishman, I suppose the status quo suits you perfectly." 

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

A Dirty Job (The Grimm Reaper #1) by Christopher Moore was good, but it gets pretty repetitive.  Seriously if I had a dollar for every time the world beta or beta male was used, I'd probably have like $200.  I will say though that Fisher Stevens did a good job of bringing the audiobook to life.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

I think The Six-Gun Tarot (Golgotha #1) by R.S. Belcher was almost exactly the kind fantasy western I needed.  Historical fantasy is one of my favorite genres and I really liked how the author used the Old West.  Plus, I really enjoyed getting to know the colorful cast of - as much as I liked Jim, I really liked Maude.  I don't know about you, but I need to continue this series and return to the forsaken town of Golgotha in The Shotgun Arcana.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss is an incredibly well researched biography on General Alex Dumas, the father of the novelist Alexandre Dumas.  I knew next to nothing about Alexandre Dumas in the first place, but learning about his family and what kind of man his father was was absolutely fascinating.  I'm not French, but just going on this story he should practically be a household name for his bravery and accomplishments.  This book can get somewhat tricky if you're not the most familiar with French history from the late 1700s to early 1800s, not to mention keeping up with who's who, but it's still a must read if you're interested in hidden history.  I'm going to have to read more from Tom Reiss in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

Zero Repeat Forever (The Nahx Invasion #1) by Gabrielle S. Prendergast was an intriguing YA dystopian sci-fi novel.  My favorite aspect of this series opener is that it focused on the survival aspects more than the alien invasion itself.  I also liked that we really got to explore the characters of Raven and Eighth (August), but August was certainly the character that I was the most invested in overall.  I'm going to have to check out the sequel, Cold Falling White, in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you been taking part in the 2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge, or are you going to take part in next year's?  I know I will be!  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early