Skip to main content

Wyrd & Wonder 2023 - Week 4 Update

Happy Wednesday and welcome to my fourth and final weekly update for Wyrd & Wonder 2023!  Wyrd & Wonder 2023 is a month long celebration of all things fantasy co-hosted by Lisa @ Dear Geek Place, imyril @ There’s Always Room For One More, Ariana @ The Book Nook, Annemieke @ A Dance With Books, and Jorie @ Jorie Loves A Story with artwork by astromoali.  I can't believe it's already the last day of the month.  Without further ado, let's see what I got up to since my last update which has been a bit more than a week.


My Wyrd & Wonder Posts Since My Last Update:







What I Watched This Week:

 ❋ ❋.5

If you're a fan of monster movies, you can't skip out on Troll (2022). It's not exactly unique but it's still a lot of fun. I liked how it explored Norwegian folklore as much as it did the landscape. My favorite character was easily Andreas - he was delightful to watch.

My review is also on Letterboxd.


 ❋ 

Enchanted was so much fun, but Disenchanted (2022) was mostly just disappointing. It doesn't have the same magic as the original and I hate to say it but there are too many songs and none of them are nearly as catchy as the originals were. My favorite was James Marsden's Edward. He makes the movie, but unfortunately he barely gets any screentime. My favorite reference when the vendor in the background at the market says "Sugar, dates, and pistachios" just like in Aladdin.

My review is also on Letterboxd.


What I Read This Week:

 ❋   ❋ 
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1) by Ilona Andrews was on my tbr for way too long.  I'm glad I finally decided to jump into this series because I think it's going to become a favorite series.  As a first installment, it really reeled me in.  The world building in this is easily my favorite aspect and I'm dying to know more and more about Kate's world.  Then, there are the characters - let me just say that Kate is awesome.  I can't wait to see what's next in this series.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  ❋  

Daughter of the Moon Goddess (The Celestial Kingdom Duology #1) by Sue Lynn Tan was sitting on my shelf since I bought my copy when it was brand new.  I have no idea why I put if off for so long though because it was fantastic.  The cast of characters are great, but what I especially loved was the world-building and learning more about the mythology behind the story.  I loved that it drops us right into the action at the very beginning as well.  It fits in so much into this first installment.  I can't wait to read the finale of this duology, Heart of the Sun Warrior.

My review is also on Goodreads and I also read this for my Popsugar Reading Challenge.


 ❋  

Before They Are Hanged (The First Law #1) by Joe Abercrombie is one I've really been looking forward to reading and I really enjoyed this sequel.  The author does a great job of putting his own unique spin on classic tropes and his characters are one of a kind, especially Glokta.  He's quite the customer, isn't he!  You know, I still want to call him "Glotka".  Oh well.  I can't wait to try Last Argument of Kings.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Did you take part in Wyrd & Wonder?  Have you watched or read these things?  As always, thanks for visiting and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads