Skip to main content

Magical Readathon: Orilium - Spring Equinox 2023 - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

Happy Thursday everyone!  Today I'm featuring my wrap up and mini reviews of the Magical Readathon: Orilium - Spring Equinox 2023 classes at Orilium for the Magical Readathon, hosted by G. @ Book Roast.  I've followed the Novice Path, completed the Traveller's Key, have Geared Up, completed the Spring Equinox 2022,  completed the August Equinox 2022, visited Old Favour Pass, and I've also been working on the Choose Your Own Adventure: Year In Aeldia challenge this year as well.  This Spring Equinox semester ran for the entire month of of April.  You can check out my original TBR to continue my studies for the Calling of a Scribe for the Spring Equinox here.  I managed to complete all my coursework on time.  Without further ado, keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I read to complete my work in Elemental Studies, Inscription, Spells & Incantations, Restoration, and Lore:

Elemental Studies - Botanic Controls: Flower On The Cover

❋ ❋ ❋ 

Belladonna (Belladonna #1) by Adalyn Grace is quite a unique YA gothic fantasy murder mystery.  My favorite aspects of the story were easily the atmosphere and the setting as well as the ghosts themselves.  That said I had a tough time figuring out what Death is supposed to look like given the description.  Overall, it's well worth reading, but I'm not entirely sure if i want to continue the series in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Inscription - Glyph: Flight: Book From Your Highest Shelf

❋ ❋ ❋  

Mask of Silver (Arkham Horror #12) by Rosemary Jones has been one of my favorite Arkham Horror novels so far. I love that it incorporates Old Hollywood into the story, even mentioning real life actors. The atmosphere is excellently eerie as well. I can't wait to read more of this series in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Spells & Incantations - Spell: Magic Missiles - Target Length: 389-415 Pages

❋ ❋ ❋ 

Vespertine by Margaret Rogerson  is a great YA fantasy standalone novel.  I'm glad I decided to read more from this author because I think she may become a favorite of mine.  The premise of this particular book is really cool and I loved getting to know the world and the characters. That said, I just don't think it needed to be quite as long. I need to catch up on this author's books asap.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Restoration - Occult Curses: Close Your Eyes, Shuffle, & Point

❋ ❋ ❋ 

Black Wolves (Black Wolves #1) by Kate Elliott  has been on my tbr for ages.  I'm glad I finally picked up this epic fantasy series opener.  It's a solid read but it didn't quite manage to get into it as much as I had hoped to.  I don't think it quite stood out from the pack like I was expecting.  It started off great, but it started to lose me a bit in the final third.  My favorite aspect of this novel was exploring the world the characters live in.  Overall, I have a feeling you'll want to try this if you like the style of Richard Swan.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Lore - The Legend of Dia: Book With A Map

❋ ❋ ❋ 

The Spare Man by Mary Robinette Kowal is another great read from this author.   She has quickly become one of my favorites.  The concept of this book was really cool and it hooked me right from the beginning. If you love The Thin Man movies or books, this is a must read. They even have a really good dog - and lots of style!

My review is also on Goodreads.


Did you take part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?   As always, thanks for visiting and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I still need to read The Spare Man😁 Congrats on completing all the challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag