Skip to main content

2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #5

 Happy Monday everyone and welcome to my fifth 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini reviews!  In May I read 5 books for a total of 30 out of 50 books for the 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge. I've made some great progress!  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the book I read in May:

 ❋  ❋ 

Historical fantasy is one of my favorite subgenres and Siren Queen by Nghi Vo  was exactly the thing I needed.  I always love reading stories set in old Hollywood and I honestly have no complaints with this standalone novel.  Plus, the production of the audiobook edition was excellent.  I need to read everything Nghi Vo has ever written and I can't recommend this enough.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 

I obviously can't help but compare Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick  to the movie Blade Runner.  Honestly, this is one of the few cases where I definitely prefer the movie to the original book.  There's a bit that I didn't quite expect especially all of the talk with the animals.  It fleshes out the world, but I don't know if I needed quite so much information on electric animals.  It's also tough to explain that it feels like not a whole lot actually happens given all of the ideas and the world-building going on.  I might have to rewatch the movie and the sequel soon.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  

It was good to return to the world for this prequel, The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate #0.5) by Gail Carriger. I highly recommend the audiobook production, but that said the character of Alessandro was kind of annoying.

My review is also on Goodreads.


DNF'd @ p. 84

I really tried on The Wanderings of Wuntvor (The Ballad of Wuntvor #1-3) by Craig Shaw Gardner.  It sounded intriguing, but this just was not for me.  I was hoping for something like a Discworld story, but this wasn't that.

My review is also on Goodreads and I also attempted this for Wyrd & Wonder 2023.


 ❋  ❋  

Daughter of the Moon Goddess (The Celestial Kingdom Duology #1) by Sue Lynn Tan was sitting on my shelf since I bought my copy when it was brand new.  I have no idea why I put if off for so long though because it was fantastic.  The cast of characters are great, but what I especially loved was the world-building and learning more about the mythology behind the story.  I loved that it drops us right into the action at the very beginning as well.  It fits in so much into this first installment.  I can't wait to read the finale of this duology, Heart of the Sun Warrior.

My review is also on Goodreads and I also read this for Wyrd & Wonder 2023.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you participating in this reading challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I read Do Androids Dream before I saw the movie, and loved it. But you're right, the book and the movie are like night and day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I read the book first, I might have preferred it to the movie. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads