Skip to main content

Starting Sparks: April Edition


Welcome back to the April edition of Starting Sparks, a monthly writing link-up hosted by Emily @ Ink, Inc. and Ashley G. @ [insert title here].  The idea behind it is to spark your creativity and write on a theme posted at the first of the month by the co-hosts.  You can write whatever you like be it a short story, a scene, a poem, a piece of dialogue, or simply an exploration of an idea.  This month the selected theme is the following:


The Well-Dressed Time Traveler

I'm convinced that I saw a time traveler at work on three separate occasions this week - and no one else seemed to notice.  The first time I spotted him was when he hurried in front of the department desk at precisely 11:00 a.m. on a bustling Monday.  He looked like he had just stepped out of the 1880s, in a suit and top hat that wouldn't have looked out of place on an undertaker.  Two days later on Wednesday at the exact same time I saw him go by again looking worriedly over his should at nothing in particular, and this time he was dressed as if he had walked off the set of a 1920s silent film topping off his suit with a straw boater.  By Friday, I spotted the same man rocking the Rat Pack look, albeit walking faster than before and appearing a little short of breath.  I've never seen him enter or exit the store (both the entrance and the exit are in sight of the department desk), or make any purchases, only to pass by the department desk at exactly the same time every other day - and each time he looked more and more intent on getting to the opposite end of the store.

The first couple of times I just figured he was a sharply dressed customer on a mission.  That's the main reason I noticed him in the first place - it's quite unusual to see anyone so well dressed in a hardware store, let alone someone wearing historical fashions.  I asked about the other departments toward which he was heading, but strangely enough no one else seemed to notice him.  I even asked the service desk and the cashiers because he would have had to go right by them when he entered or exited the store, but still nothing.  Of course, it is a big store and we see so many people everyday.  Regardless, I would have expected at least one of my coworkers to have taken note of our mysterious customer.

Tomorrow is Sunday and I plan on being ready for him when I see him at 11:00.  I want to see where he's going and how he is entering and exiting the store without being seen.  I could be completely wrong about the "time traveler", but the entire situation makes me a little uneasy.  I want to know what's going on in my store.

Comments

  1. Oh, I remember you mentioning him! This is great. I loved reading about him and it is weird that nobody else notices. Thanks for linking up with us! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to do more with his "character" - maybe take up where I left off. Seriously, though, the three outfits I mentioned that he wears in this story are ones I've actually seen him wear to the store. :D

      Delete
  2. I love him! I really want you to keep tabs on him and tell us what you discover! XD

    Thank you thank you thank you as always for linking up <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I haven't seen him in quite a while...although, admittedly, I probably wouldn't recognize him in modern clothes! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early