Skip to main content

Enders (Starters #2) by Lissa Price - Review


❋ ❋ 

Since Prime Destinations has been destroyed, Callie no longer has to rent her body out, but others can still get in an control her (along with other chipped teens) and force her to do anything they want. If she has the chip removed, she'll be safe, but she'll no longer be able to hear the voice in her head that may very well belong to her father. To top it all off, Callie has been flashing back to Helena's, her old renter's, memories, and the Old Man is back in the game. No one is who they seem to be, but Callie is determined to discover the truth with the hope that she and her brother someday may be able to live normal lives.

I really enjoyed Starters, the first book in the series, when I read it back in 2014 - it was so different and had a great hook. Unfortunately, I didn't like the sequel quite as much. It seemed halfhearted, Callie made a lot of dumb decisions, and the romance just got weird. As for the halfheartedness, I'm not sure if it seemed that way to me because I listened to the audiobook and the production wasn't the greatest or that the story just didn't have as interesting of a hook of the first novel.

I also had more issues with Callie in this installment. She's supposed to be very street smart, at least in the first book, but here there is no sign of that. She's constantly making exceedingly dumb decisions that could have resulted in bodily injury or death. She also says she wants to provide a better life for her brother, but she personally doesn't do all that much for him this time around since she's constantly handing him off to someone else. In regards to the romance, Michael essentially drops off the map and seems to be replaced partially by Blake and primarily by Hayden. Hayden, the Old Man's son, Hayden who lies to her and manipulates her. For some reason Callie forgives him and seems to trust him although he's incredibly shady and has tons of ulterior motives.

All of this doesn't mean to say that I hated it. The book was still good, but just not as good as I was hoping it could have been. The action is done well and it's a good fast-paced thriller with lots of good twists and turns. It also has a decent resolution. Now, after it's all said and done, I still want a story on the Spore War.


I listened to this audiobook from February 23 - March 2, 2016 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early