Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Redemption by Elora Mitchell


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting my next Kindle  read, Redemption by Elora Mitchell.  I won this in the Get Real: Strings by David Estes Launch Party on Facebook and I'm so exited to finally jump into it because it sounds awesome!  

Summary: 

In a world torn apart by war, seventeen-year-old Agent 093762 is working to find her place in it. She’s moving up in rank, and things are going well—at least until she’s injured and left for dead. Now life has new meaning for her as a woman marked for death. 


Her life becomes a struggle for survival, and with it comes the memories of her past. Memories she would rather forget. But hope isn’t lost. She meets Logan, a man fighting demons of his own. Together, they will try to accept their past while looking to the future in this dark tale of betrayal, love and the lengths a human will go through to find redemption.

Beginning:

The explosion blows me across the room, sending my body sailing through the air until I slam into the wall, something cracking deep within my chest.  My side instantly lights up in pain, and I can't move.  The world is a blur while the room sways and jolts and pieces of the roof fall around me.  My breath comes in short gasps, and my blood turns to ice while I sweat and shake.  Am I going into shock?

56%:

This could go south at any minute, and I need to have at least one of my weapons in my hand, ready.  "Sheathe your knives, soldiers," I command.  The smaller of the two puts his knife away, but the larger soldier keeps his.  Standing tall, I pull my knife and stick it in his face.  "Do you know what this tattoo means?" I demand.  "It means I outrank you.  Now, sheathe your weapon."  He glares at me, a muscle twitching near his eye, but complies.

Comments

  1. Whoa. What a tremendously intriguing beginning. things are not going well for this character. I worried about paralysis. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning is definitely intense, and the writing really captured the scene. Thanks for sharing. I haven't heard of this one until now, but it looks really interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty recent release. Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete
  3. That sounds really intriguing. I'll have to add it to my wishlist. I am spotlighting Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I piqued your interest. :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. What an action packed, get right to it, beginning! http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsAGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't waste anytime, does it!

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Wow. The beginning and the excerpt are very intense. Sounds like a good one.

    My Friday 56 from The Overnight

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very gripping, it seems.


    I'm featuring Between you and me this week. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely intense! I am very interested in what happens next. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! I can't wait to start in on this one!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I'm totally intrigued by both snippets! Sounds exciting. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intense! Free books are always awesome, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just the best! Sometimes you can find some real hidden gems!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like an intense story line. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh intense writing. I don't think I'd have guessed it based on the bland cover. Hope you're enjoying this read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good read. Thanks for sharing and visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good, but different than what I expected! :)

      Delete
  13. Love the title and snippets that you've shared with us! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early