Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Island and the Kite by Aurora Zahni


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting my next Kindle read, The Island and the Kite by Aurora Zahni.  I won a copy of it from the author during Chelsy's Book Review MileStone Event on Facebook and I can't wait to start in on this short novel.

Beginning:

Book One: Mary Susan

11:45 PM Tuesday: The Middle of a Long Day

Mary Susan always traveled in her sleep.

If she was walking, she’d have the most comfortable shoes. On a train, she’d have a window seat. By air, she’d often have wings. 

Her slumber vacations never seemed to have any destination. In her dreams she felt content just to be holding a suitcase and heading somewhere.

56%:

“Mary Susan,” Trish said through a yawn. “I’m parked right down the street and I can give you a ride home unless you want to do breakfast or something.”

“No way. As much as I’d love to hang I really need to clean up. I checked before. I do not look cute and I need to take a shower.”

“Dumpster squatting will do that to you.” Cassie noted.

Comments

  1. This sounds like a good read. I hope you're enjoying it.
    My FridayMarie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you, that does look good. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this could be a funny book. I like the "dumpster squatting" comment.
    My Friday post features A NEW DAWN IN DEER ISLE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to travel in my dreams like that. And now I'm wondering why she was digging in a dumpster:)

    My Friday 56 from West Of Dead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the same thing, especially about the dreams. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds interesting. I love the idea of traveling in my dreams and dumpster squatting is definitely not a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not ever heard of this one, I hope you end up liking it. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL @ the 56... but the beginning conjures up beautiful imagery. Love that she sleep-vacays! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 56 made me giggle...thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “THE OBSESSION”

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like the BB. I'd love for to check out mine at http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewSTTGPJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. I travel by dream, too! This sounds like a fun read. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really loved both the beginning and the 56 - the 56 made me laugh..here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dumpster squatting! I wonder what they were looking for. Looks like a fun, cozy read. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's just me but dumpster squatting conjures up images of CSI...

      Thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  13. What the heck is dumpster squatting. I don't think it's sounds very appealing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a cool idea. Lmao at the 56. Looks like a good read though, and it has a super cute cover.

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cute, and not quite exactly what I was expecting.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. I love getting a book I've been looking forward to. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds very interesting, a bit mysterious, love the 56 !!
    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier :) Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely makes you wonder what's going on! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  17. Such wonderful descriptive snippets! The Friday #56 quote brings many visuals to my mind. Sounds like this one will keep your interest, for sure! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the author's light-hearted tone. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get a bit darker, but yeah, so do I! :) Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  19. Hi Lauren,

    I have checked out some of the great ratings and reviews this book is attracting, however I still don't think it is something I would enjoy.

    The cover art is really good and I did like the opening lines. I don't dream very often, but I can never remember travelling in my sleep. It would be okay if all my travels were comfortable and happy, like Mary Susan's, but I think that this kind of dream could quite easily turn into something of a nightmare!

    Congratulations on the win and I'm pleased that you enjoyed the book so much :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Yvonne.

      You know, I can almost never remember my dreams, but the idea of traveling in my sleep sounds very tempting. :)

      Delete
  20. these passages are intriguing. so I went to read the synopsis, and I think it's over the top weirdo for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit different from what I was expecting...

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early