Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) by Cassandra Clare


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting my current read, Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) by Cassandra Clare.  I've only just started it, but I'm very, very excited to be back in the Shadowhunter world! 

Without further ado:


Beginning:

Prologue

Los Angeles, 2012

Shadow Market nights were Kit's favorite.  

They were the nights that he was allowed to leave the house and help his father with the booth.  He'd been coming to the Shadow Market since he was seven years old.  Eight years later he still felt the same sense of shock and wonder when he walked down Kendall Alley through Old Town Pasadena toward a blank brick wall - and stepped through it into an explosive world of color and light.

56:

"You're all so tanned," Diaaa was saying.  "How are you all so tanned?  I thought it rained all the time in England!"

"I don't have a tan," said Tiberius matter-of-factly.  It was true, he didn't.  Ty detested the sun.  When they all went to the beach he was usually to be found under a terrifyingly huge umbrella, reading a detective story.  

"Great-Aunt Marjorie made us train outside all day," Livvy said.  "Well, not Tavvy.  She kept him inside and fed him bramble jelly."

"Tiberius hid," said Drusilla.  "In the barn."

"It wasn't hiding," said Ty.  "It was a strategic retreat."

Comments

  1. I enjoyed the dialogue in the 56, and the book's opening made me want to know more about the world this author has created. Sounds like a good story.
    My Friday post features FELICITY’S POWER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has a lot of potential! :)
      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. So does he have a tan? I bought this big book for my library and so far it has been checked out quickly. I guess kids aren't afraid of big books either. My Friday Quotes: Anna and the Swallow Man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The earlier series by the author were big hits at my library too! :)

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I am curious about this book, even though it is not my usual read. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems okay, but I don't know if this one would be for me. I tried two of Clare's books, but they didn't turn out to be for me. But, I hope you enjoy the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to read more by this author. I am so far behind. Today I am featuring Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many in the series, aren't there! Happy reading!

      Delete
  6. I would grab this just because of the cover. Have a great weekend.

    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I love the use of a Dean gif for obvious reasons! Second, I'm so excited to read Lady Midnight. Especially after that chunk of dialogue :D happy reading
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really definitely fits! :)

      I hope you'll enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. I love this. Tiberius sounds like a quirky kid... sounds like a great read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like my kind of kid, actually! :)

      Have a great one!

      Delete
  9. My daughter introduced me to the Shadow Hunter tv series and wants me to read the books. Not my usual fare but I am intrigued. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, the books are better, but the tv show has it's moments especially as it gets going.

      Delete
  10. Not read her books..I know! :( :) Hope you are enjoying that one!

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover is certainly an attention grabber. I'd love for you to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsBFB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep meaning to start this series. I know I'd like it. And that cover is beautiful!

    My Friday 56 from Titans

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the beginning - reminds me of the scene in Harry Potter when Harry first saw the magical world in all of it's glory - I have not started this series but need to add it to my list. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of does, doesn't it! :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  14. I like the cover.

    I hope you enjoy the book.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cover concept is starting to get overused, methinks. Oh well ... I do hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...but I haven't gotten my fill yet. :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  16. Such playful dialogue for this one. I'm also very much in love with the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great #56! The snippets have introduced me to Old Town Pasadena and wanting to take a peak into the world of more color and action. The cover art is intriguing, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over! I hope you had a great weekend! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early