Skip to main content

Summer 2017 Bookish Bingo


Thanks very much to Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense for introducing me to this new-to-me reading challenge hosted by Bekka @ Pretty Deadly Reviews!  I've taken part in book bingo's before and I think they're always fun!  I really like the look of this board.  Anyway, the goal of this challenge is to get as many bingos as possible over the course of June, July, and August (I'll be starting a bit late, but I should still be in decent shape).  You don't even have to review the books that you read for this challenge (although I probably will be to some degree at least), just read the books to get your bingo.

So, I've already decided what books I'm going to read for each square - and for the most part they're books I already own.  This will definitely help me whittle down my mountainous tbr!  I don't know if I'll be able to get to all of them, but here are the books I hope to get to with this challenge.  Breathe.


Ace Rep: 



Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Ormsbee - YA Contemporary is a bit outside of my wheelhouse, but this sounds like an absolute must-read, plus the main character has a web series that is a modern take on Anna Karenina!

A Book About Fandom:



The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz Tash - I've been eyeing this at the library for quite some time and this challenge may give me the excuse to finally pick it up.

Family Drama:



A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire #3) by George R.R. Martin - I have no clue why I haven't caught up with this series, although you have to admit it is kind of intimidating... but I say it perfectly fits the category!

A Sequel:



Cold Days (The Dresden Files #14) by Jim Butcher - I love this series so much!  It's about time I jump back in feet first!

Flowers on the Cover: 



Big Fish by Daniel Wallace - This novel inspired one of my all time favorite Tim Burton movies (and one of the more underrated) so it's about time I see what the source material is like.

Over Five Years Old:



The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty - This is obviously a fair bit older than five years old (it was first published in 1971), but I need to check out the story that inspired that classic horror movie.

Sci-Fi:



Red Rising (Red Rising #1) by Pierce Brown - Again, I don't know why I haven't read this yet - my guess is that the hype scares me...

Blue Cover: 



The Ferryman Institute by Colin Gigl - The summary for this sounds awesome and I've heard great things about it!  Plus, it's been compared to The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde which is one of my favorites.

Name in Title:



True & Nellie (Tru & Nellie #1) by G. Neri - Fictionalized MG story of (real life) childhood friends Truman Capote and Harper Lee - sounds fascinating.

Travel:



Into the Dim (Into the Dim #1) by Janet B. Taylor - In my book time travel definitely counts!  Plus, it looks like the main character has to go to Scotland, so there.

Thriller:


The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1) by Robert Galbraith - Another that I have no clue why I haven't already read it... I feel like I'm missing out!

LGBT:


The Bane Chronicles (The Bane Chronicles #1-11) by Cassandra Clare - Magnus Bane is one of my favorite characters from The Shadowhunter Chronicles, so this will be fun. (I wish it didn't have movie Magnus on the cover - such a disappointment!)

Free Space: 


Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1) by Jay Kristoff -  This will be good!  I've been needing an excuse to pick this one up!

Royalty:


Heartless by Marissa Meyer - Queen of Hearts, before she was the Queen - yes, please!

Outside Your Comfort Zone:


Giant by Edna Ferber - The movie is an absolute classic, and it's time I try the original.

Red Cover:


The Rook (The Checquy Files #1)by Daniel O'Malley - This sounds absolutely awesome and right up my alley - I can't wait to start in on it.

Summer Release: 


The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee - I expect this is at the top of everyone's summer reading list!

On Your TBR Forever: 


Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows #1) by Kim Harrison - Again, how have I not already read this - sounds like a fun urban fantasy series to work my way through.

A Book With A Map:


Crown of Midnight  (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas - Since I've just reread book one, I'm fully prepared to jump into the sequel!

Romance:


Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by Robin LaFevers - This has been sitting on my shelf unread for far too long - it's high time I get to it.

Latinx MC:


Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz - No clue how I've missed this and I feel like I'm out of the loop.  Luckily this challenge will give me another reason to finally find out what all the hype is about for myself.

White Cover: 


The Diabolic (The Diabolic #1) by S.J. Kincaid - I've heard a lot of good things hear and I've been looking forward to giving this a try.

Revolution and Rebellion:


Promise of Blood (Powder Mage #1) by Brian McClellan - Fantasy take on the French Revolution involving gunpowder magic.  I can tell this is going to be great.

Author From Another Continent:


Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist - Let the Right One In is one of my recent favorite vampire books (and the original movie adaptation is a favorite vampire movie), I need to see what the author does with zombies.  By the way, the author is Swedish.

Award Winner:



Unwind (Unwind #1) by Neal Shusterman - Just look at all the awards that this book has won!  Wow!  I will be listening to this on audiobook - the narrator is Luke Daniels, one of my favorites!


Whoo! What a list!  This is going to be quite a challenge isn't it!  I think I'm going to aim for that middle column first - The Cuckoo's Calling, The Bane Chronicles, Nevernight, Heartless, and Giant.  Wish me luck!


Comments

  1. Ah, this looks really fun! I love book bingo, so I may have to have a go at this myself. =) I only discovered The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue fairly recently but I've already preordered a copy and I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what books you'd read if you sign up! :) Hope you love it!

      Delete
  2. I did so well with the spring bingo (only scary not accomplished). I was struggling with some of these, and am so happy you shared your list. The ACE book is posing a little bit of a problem. I read like 3 books with ACE MCs, but I was having trouble finding another. I have to see if the library has Tash.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Sam! :)

      If you see any you like on my list and you plan on doing it this time, feel free to borrow my picks! As for ace rep, if you haven't read it I highly recommend Every Heart A Doorway by Seanan McGuire.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I'm so glad you're going to be doing this! In fact, I actually might steal some of your book ideas >_< And I'm so happy that Grave Mercy made your list. I love that book so much. Oooh, I look forward to your thoughts on The Exorcist. The movie is one of those that I feel I only ever need to see once. Demon possession sometimes gives me a whole lot of heebie-jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is going to be a lot of fun! Feel free to borrow some of my picks, if you want. :)

      I know what you mean about The Exorcist...!

      Delete
  4. Great categories, I hope you enjoy The Diabolic

    ReplyDelete
  5. JUST READ STORM OF SWORDS OK OK OK OK???? (Or don't, because a) it will rip your heart into a thousand pieces, and b) you'll read them all and Winds of Winter still won't be out and you'll be covered by a cold icier than the Wall as you wonder when it will EVER be released. ~shrugs~ your choice.)

    Also, Crown of Midnight is pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books I've Read For Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge