Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Weekend Update, Book Haul, & Wonder Woman (2017)


Happy Sunday everyone!  It's been an exciting week!  At my library, our remodel has started which is really exciting - we've gotten some new furniture, the exterior is currently being refreshed with a new coat of paint, and later this month we'll be having new carpet put down and the interior walls will be painted as well.  Then, in even more exciting library news we received a grant which will allow us to update our tech and multimedia equipment!  Yay!


Also several books that I ordered over Memorial Day Weekend arrived this week.  I got a stunning deal on those seven books on the left side of the photo above - I was able to combine gift card money, sales, and coupons to the point it was like only paying for one hardback.  Super lucky there!

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1) by Patrick Rothfuss - I have no clue why I haven't already read this because it sounds amazing!

Midnight Riot (Peter Grant #1) by Ben Aaronovitch - Originally titled Rivers of London, and I've heard so many great things about this urban fantasy that I just needed to try it for myself.

Hild (Light of the World #1) by Nicola Griffith - I've had my eye on this forever and finally located a copy at an extremely reasonable price to add to my collection.

Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty - If you haven't read the summary for this it sounds like a really cool sci-fi mystery thriller.

The Immortals (Olympus Bound #1) by Jordanna Max Brodsky - I've heard so many wonderful things about this series!  It sounds like a grown up Percy Jackson focusing on the Greek Gods.

The Dark Side by Anthony O'Neill - Noir on the moon? Say no more!

Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2) by Alwyn Hamilton - I just can't wait to read this sequel!

Birds, Beasts, and Relatives (Corfu Trilogy #2) by Gerald Durrell - I'm found this at the library and I'll be reading it for Book Riot's 2017 Read Harder Challenge this month.  I can't wait to dive in since book one, My Family and Other Animals, is an all-time favorite.


The last few days, the weather has been quite nice so Finn got to go outside quite a bit - and I got to get in some reading in the great outdoors.  Here's Finn from one of his favorite bird watching vantage points - the low crook of a tree!



❋ ❋ ❋  

To my absolute delight, I had the opportunity to go see Wonder Woman at the movie theater on Thursday night!  I was really hoping it would live up to all of the hype and be as good as the trailer made it look - and luckily it fully lives up to all the hype!  It easily earns all five stars from me and everyone involved gets an A+ for all of their efforts in making this character come to the big screen.  Gal Gadot's charismatic Diana is exactly the kind of superhero I need in my life.  The movie is easily able to balance the darkness of the Great War with hope and humor.  Director Patty Jenkins does a phenomenal job of bringing everything together.  Now, where's our Black Widow movie, Marvel?  

Audience notes: The theater was packed for the showing I went to Thursday evening.  The crowd was mixed from kids to senior citizens, male and female.  Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and the movie.  At Sir Patrick's introduction, about half of the audience whispered "Professor Lupin!"


Next up: 


Comments

  1. I am jealous. I really had no interest in any DC movies but Wonder Woman is looking awesome, I have to find time for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to see it on the big screen! This has been the only DC movie I've seen at the theater. I waited for Suicide Squad on dvd and it was kind of a mess, but it did have a couple of highlights. I think I'll be looking into Batman v Superman just for Gal Gadot.

      Delete
  2. I hope you like Six Wakes and The Immortals, I thought both were pretty good. And I can't WAIT to see Wonder Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see Wonder Woman too and I'm glad it met lived up to the hype.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant believe I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet!! I need to! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it soon! Hope you love it Clare!

      Delete
  5. Your books look fab! I want to try some Patrick Rothfuss, if only for his incredible beard. (All fantasy writers should have a beard like that, man. Maybe I should grow a beard like that?)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early