Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): A Torch Against The Night by Sabaa Tahir + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my upcoming reads, A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) by Sabaa Tahir.  I read book one back in 2015 and it was one of my favorite releases of that year - I have no clue why I haven't picked up the sequel yet.  

Beginning:

How did they find us so fast.  

Behind me, the catacombs echo with angry shouts and the screech of metal.  My eyes dart to the grinning skulls lining the wall.  I think I hear the voices of the dead.

56:

"I told you: I've been watching you.  I wanted a chance to speak."

"Let me go back."

"Soon," she says.  "You have more questions?"



This week I'm also taking part in a linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Best/ Worst Book Read In May.



Best:  I actually had 6 five star reads this month (1 of those was a reread), but the two that stood out the most to me looking back have been It's Not Like It's A Secret by Misa Sugiura and The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas.  Both of these are top YA Contemporary debuts and I can't recommend them enough!


Worst: I had three 3 star reads this month, but the one that was the most disappointing overall was The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco.  I really enjoyed the first 20% or so, but unfortunately the story suffered from far too much detail and description and not enough plot.

Comments

  1. I've seen a lot of praise for Sabaa Tahir's An Ember in the Ashes series. A Torch Against the Night sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it lives up to my expectations, that's for sure!

      Delete
  2. I really need to start this series - I have the first book so no excuses really!
    I have heard so many good things about THUG.
    Cora ❤ http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,

    I didnt realise "A Torch Against the Night" was book 2 - Intriguing!

    Here is mine: http://bit.ly/2rMalpu

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is and I can't wait to see where the author takes her characters. :)

      Thanks for visiting, Sassy!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on having six 5-star read this month. I will definitely be looking for the two you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this book sounds intense and a bit frightening. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely intense - or at least that's the case with book one! :)

      Thanks for coming over.

      Delete
  6. I've been really meaning to start her series. Judging for your two blurbs I will definitely be putting it on a recent TBR list!

    Danica @ Shelves of Spines
    My Friday Meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have An Ember in the Ashes on my TBR and am curious about this follow up. I like the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of the series, Katherine. I sped through book 1! :)

      Delete
  8. I still haven't read the first book. So many books....Too bad about Bonewitch. It sure sounded great.

    My Friday 56 from Skin and Bones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean - and it's easy to get distracted. Bone Witch had such potential too...

      Delete
  9. The Hate You Give was such a hyped book, and I wanted to read it for soo long. I'm glad you gave it 5 stars, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had to skip the 56 this week because I had so many post going up, but glad to see you spotlighting A Torch Against the Night. I have yet to read this one, so you've just reminded me. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Bone Witch is one that I have been iffy about. It kinda sounded good to me and then it didn't. I've seen so many mixed reviews that I still don't know if I will read it more not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It starts off pretty promising, but it just didn't work for me unfortunately.

      Delete
  12. I need to read this series, it looks awesome! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 1 was so cool! Hope you get the chance to pick it up, Freda! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  13. Hi Lauren,

    I donlt think that 'A Torch Against The Night' is one for me, although your opening lines oozed tension and suspense!

    It's a real shame about 'The Bone Witch', as the cover art looks so good - I guess you won't be reading book #2 in the series, which comes out next year? - Mind you, I'm a sucker for descriptive writing, although I do like a good solid plot as well!

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your reading week :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And The Bone Witch had such a promising opening , too... Thanks for coming over, Yvonne. :)

      Delete
  14. I have had Torch on my TBR forever and a day! I really should get to reading that one soon. It sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sad to hear that you didn't enjoy The Bone Witch! It's been on my TBR for a hot minute and I've been admiring the cover for ages. I suppose a pretty cover doesn't mean it's pretty on the inside too. Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just didn't live up to my expectations. Thanks for coming over, Laura!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early