Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare + 50/50 Friday

 



On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook.  Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.  As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.   Then, for  50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting my current read, The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, Sandra Rees Brennan, and Maureen Johnson.  It's my third read for Summer 2017 Bookish Bingo and it'll fulfill the LGBT+ square.  I held a poll on Twitter to narrow down my options and this won out!  I'm really looking forward to this short story collection since Magnus Bane is one of my favorite characters from the Shadowhunters Chronicles!  I have to admit, though, that I wish the cover for this got an update, too - maybe to a picture of Harry Shum.  He portrays the character on the tv show, and, in my opinion, does a much better job of bringing Magnus to life.

Beginning: [from "What Really Happened in Peru"]

It was a sad moment in Magnus Bane's life when he was banned from Peru by the High Council of Peruvian warlocks.  It was not just because the posters with a picture of him that were passed around Downworld in Peru were so wildly unflattering.

56: [from "The Runaway Queen]

In Paris people were always after the latest fashion.  Wigs that hit the ceiling and had miniature boats in them; outrageous silks; white paint and high, blushed cheeks on the men and the women; the decorative beauty spots; the tailoring; the colors... In Paris one could have the eyes of a cat (as he did) and tell people it was a trick of fashion.

50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Book You Read In June


Best - Royal Bastards by Andrew Shvarts - This had just about everything I could have wanted!


Worst - Flawed by Cecelia Ahern - I ended up DNF'ing my ARC copy at 39%, unfortunately.


Thanks as always for visiting my blog, as always!  Happy Friday!

Comments

  1. I have still not tried The Mortal Instrument series...so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by Clare but have a few on my TBR mountain. I thought Flawed was okay but didn't feel the need to keep going with the series. My YA choice this week is Bad Blood by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll definitely have to try Clare out, Kathy! Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
  3. Those aren't Bette Davis eyes.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can say that again! :D

      Thanks for sharing, Sherry.

      Delete
  4. One of these days I'll get around to Cassandra Clare. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Bane Chronicles. I really want to get Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy as well.
    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book cover of The Bane Chronicles is kind of freaky...LOL. Those eyes.

    Interesting excerpts. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “ANY DAY NOW”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! :)

      Thanks for sharing and visiting my blog!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I don't like having to dnf a book!! It's usually pretty bad if I have to do so!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not too either. Sometimes I just need to move on!

      Delete
  8. I haven't read anything by Clare yet but she's on my list. That cover is terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's pretty awesome! I hope you'll enjoy her work.

      Delete
  9. Royal Bastards is top of my list! I'm glad you enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Bane Chronicles sound good - I need to check them out. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen the Bane Chronicles around, it seems extremely popular, though its new to me :) Hope you're having a great weekend and thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :)
    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely intrigued by The Bane Chronicles! Thanks for sharing and visiting my blog! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing some of my favorite characters come back! Thanks, Ashley!

      Delete
  13. The Bane Chronicles sounds really good. I will have to check it out. As if I need more books. But then, we can never have too many, can we?

    I'm sorry Flawed didn't work for you. I haven't heard anything about it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun! I don't really need any more either, strictly speaking! :)

      Delete
  14. This really sounds good. The cover alone would have grabbed my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lauren,

    Sorry! I had to Google Harry Shum and I do see where you are coming from. However the cover art is still quite spooky in my opinion and the cover character comes quite a good close second to Harry :)

    I can't think of a book I have placed in the DNF category for some considerable time. I hate to admit defeat with a book, so will generally soldier on to the end regardless. To be fair though, I have read some great books of late and haven't needed to consider, yet alone access. the DNF folder.

    Nice post, thanks for sharing :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True - the guy on the cover played the character in the movie. He had the look, but unfortunately he gave an extremely wooden performance.

      I try not to dnf a book for the same reason but sometimes I just need to move on.

      Delete
  16. The Bane Chronicles is one that I have wanted to read for quite some time now. I hope that it is one that you enjoy. Thanks so much for sharing these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this novella and I love Bane! <3 Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want to read Royal Bastards soon! I've heard such good things and who can turn down a good YA fantasy?? Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books I've Read For Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge