Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Heartless by Marissa Meyer + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm featuring one of my current reads, Heartless by Marissa Meyer, which is my second book for Summer 2017 Bookish Bingo - it will fulfill the Royalty square.  I'm really looking forward to trying out something new by Marissa Meyer since The Lunar Chronicles is an all-time favorite series.  To help me decide what to read next to complete this column, which I'm hoping will be my first bingo, I actually had a poll on Twitter - so thanks to the voters for deciding for me!  I've got extremely high hopes for this one!

Beginning:

Three luscious lemon tarts glistened up at Catherine.  She reached her towel-wrapped hands into the oven, ignoring the heat that enveloped her arms and pressed against her cheeks, and lifted the tray from the hearth.  The tarts' sunshine filling quivered, as if glad to be freed from the stone chamber.

56:

"It was... I thought I saw... nothing."

"I see nothing all the time."

"As I said before, it was very warm inside, that's all.  And I've barely eaten all day."

"No doubt the corset of tortures didn't help.:

Her scowl deepened.  "A lady's undergarments re not a suitable topic of conversation."

He raised his hands in surrender.  "Only a theory, my lady."





This week I'm also taking part in a linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Favorite/ Least Favorite Format of a Book.

Favorite: Hardcover - Beautiful, durable, and great to add to your collection - if only they weren't so expensive.

Least Favorite: Audiobook on CD - Don't get me wrong, I love listening to audiobooks, but this particular type is the least convenient.  I definitely prefer the mp3 download format or the Playaway.

Comments

  1. I've only read part of the Lunar Chronicles so I haven't gotten to Heartless yet. Enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Breana! I hope you enjoy the rest of TLC! :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your book. I love seeing what everyone is reading even if they are not something I'd read myself. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Lynn! I hope you do the same. :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Heartless yet, it sounds amazing though! I loved the Lunar Chronicles too, and those quotes have just made me want to read it even more now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we'll both end up enjoying it! Thanks for stopping by Victoria. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Lauren,

    Oh, love the book beginning! Sounds really fun.

    Please, check out mine and why I'm so excited about it, here: http://bit.ly/2tVwfDJ

    Luv, Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a huge Wonderland fan but I have been a bit curious.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to see how it works out! Thanks for sharing, Stormi!

      Delete
  6. I don't do a lot of fairy tale stuff, but I would read anything by Marissa. I love her writing.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of those authors that I'd try anything from, I think! :)

      Delete
  7. I am curious about this series....hope you are enjoying the books. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome! Thanks very much for visiting mine as well! :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like the series is off to a good start. Enjoy...and good luck with summer bingo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been debating reading Heartless. I liked the Lunar Chronicles but am not an Alice in Wonderland fan. My YA pick this week is The Hypnotists by Gordon Korman which I bought at a book fair in 2013. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do end up trying it, I hope you'll love it! Thanks for sharing, Kathy!

      Delete
  10. I haven't even tried audiobooks on CD! I don't think I would ever finish one, because I don't drive that often and don't have a CD player at my house except for on my laptop! I always use mp3 downloads. I love hardcovers, but they're so expensive! I normally buy paperbacks because of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when I had a CD walkman I listened to them more often. I have a stereo that includes a cd player and I have my laptop now, so I usually skip them as well. Thanks for coming over, Genni! :)

      Delete
  11. Heartless looks so good! I hope you enjoy it. Hardcovers are just absolutely the best, I wish they were less expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lauren,

    Whilst not a genre I would choose for myself, I do like both the excerpts you shared and the line about the "corsets of torture" made me smile!

    Harcover books are always a bit cumbersome, although I do like it when I win one on Goodreads Giveaways and they always look great on the shelves. I generally prefer to read paperbacks myself.

    I am not a fan of audiobooks at all, as I don't enjoy being read to and never really have done, always preferring the written word.

    Nice post, thanks for sharing :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to win a giveaway, isn't it! :)

      Thanks for coming over, Yvonne!

      Delete
  13. I should have purchased this book for the library before I retired. Meyer is very popular with teen readers. I want to look into the BINGO game, too. <a href="https://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2017/06/friday-quotes.html>My Friday Quotes</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been super popular at my library! You should definitely check out that bingo game - the more the merrier!

      Delete
  14. I haven't tried audiobooks on CD, although I have the Harry Potter books all in that format. I can see why listening on my phone through an app is so much more convenient.

    I hope to finally give Marissa Meyer's books a try this fall when I read Cinder. I'm really looking forward to it!

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love her stuff - she's easily become a favorite!

      Delete
  15. I can't wait to see what you think of Heartless!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely loved this book and the quotes that you picked are perfect! I hope that you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm happy to hear that! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  17. I surprisingly have not picked up Heartless yet. I'm always nervous when an author comes out with a new series/book after I love their previous work. So many expectations! Hope you enjoy your weekend, Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean there, Alicia! My expectations are sky high - so fingers crossed! Thanks!

      Delete
  18. I read this one, and while I liked it, I was slightly disappointed in the portrayal of the Queen of Hearts. Plus I enjoyed The Lunar Chronicles much more.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm - we'll see what I think of it! I have a hard time imagining that I'll like this one more, myself. Happy weekend, Freda!

      Delete
  19. Oh my goodness yes hardcovers are so lovely!! I love buying my favorite books in hardcover format so they look all pretty on my shelves :) Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice snippets. I've been hearing about this one everywhere. Hope you enjoy it. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes! Audiobooks on CD kind of suck. I always lose my place! I much prefer digital so I can stop it and pick up where I last was easily. I also love being able to speed up the reader as they always read too slowly for me lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early