Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Duel: Terror Stories by Richard Matheson




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.



This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Duel: Terror Stories by Richard Matheson.  It's a book of short stories from Matheson.  The title short story, "Duel", was the first movie Steven Spielberg directed (and the screenplay was adapted by the author of the story.  Anyway, the movie has a special place in my heart and if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it - it's so suspenseful and Dennis Weaver does a great job as David Mann (with two N's), a driver who passes the wrong tanker truck while on a business trip.  Anyway, I've already read the original story and it was really cool to see how everything started.



Beginning (From "Duel"):

At 11:32 A.M., Mann passed the truck.

56 (From "When The Waker Sleeps"):

You heard her drawn-in breath and noted the upward cast of frightened eyes in your direction.  You turned off the set.

50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Book Read In January


Best - The Cruel Prince by Holly Black


Worst - The King of Bones and Ashes by J.D. Hone

What are you reading today?  As always, thanks for visiting and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Richard Matheson's name is familiar but I don't think I've read anything by him. This week I have A Cold Day in Hell by Lissa Marie Redmond. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's written a lot for tv, movies, and a lot of his stories have been adapted. :)

      Delete
  2. The Cruel Prince is a book that is getting lots of praise! I need to add it to my TBR. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious for more. I love short stories! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I have seen that movie over and over again and it creeps me out every time.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one to have seen it - so many I've mentioned it to have never seen it. :)

      Delete
  5. I have heard such good things about Richard Matheson's work, but I haven't yet read anything by him. I'm definitely interested from the teasers you shared.

    I am so glad you enjoyed The Cruel Prince. I want to read that one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome, I bet you'll enjoy it! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Oh these sound scary! I haven't heard of Richard Matheson but I'm not much of a horror reader so that means nothing. Glad to see you enjoyed The Cruel Prince. That one is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's good at the genre - horror, thriller.

      Happy reading, Katherine! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I remember that movie. It is so exciting and tense. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen the movie or heard of the book before, so thanks for mentioning them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read Holly Black's book... Everyone is raving about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard so many excellent things about The Cruel Prince - I'm glad you also really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Cruel Prince sounds great! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Also, I like Richard Matheson's books, but I haven't read Duel yet. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely be on the look out for it. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  12. I swear, every blog I've visited this week mentions The Cruel Prince somewhere. I'm actually going to start it tonight and so hopefully I love it as much as everyone else. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been hearing so many good things about The Cruel Prince and I still haven't managed to read it! I'm such a sucker for fae stories so I definitely need to get on it asap. Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi - Sorry I didn't comment on this until now. Had a packed weekend. I can't wait to read The Dark Prince, I started it but had others more urgent, so decided to leave it until later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Duel sounds really good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great start to the book. I saw the film when it came out and it is awesome. Really loved it, very thrilling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early