Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles #6) by Kevin Hearne + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.



This week I'm spotlighting one of my current #BeatTheBacklist reads, Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles #6) by Kevin Hearne.  Anyway, I'm so excited to be back with Atticus and Granuaile so soon after finished up the fifth book in the series.  If you love urban fantasy and are into mythology, you need to try this series if you haven't already, especially if you like The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.


Beginning:

It's odd how when you feel safe you can't think of that thing it was you kept meaning to do, but when you're running for your life you suddenly remember the entire list of things you never got around to doing.  

I always wanted to get blindly drunk with a mustachioed man, take him back to his place, do a few extra shots just this side of severe liver damage, and then shave off half his mustache when he passed out.  I would then install surveillance equipment before I left so that I could properly appreciate his reaction (and his hangover) when he woke up.  And of course I would surveil him from a black windowless van parked somewhere along his street.  There would be a wisecracking computer science graduate from MIT in the van with me who almost but not quite when all the way once with a mousy physics major who dumped him because he didn't accelerate her particles.

56:

"Oberon, what do you smell?" Granuaile asked.

His nose twitched for a few moments before he gave a mental shrug. <You guys.  Swampy birchy grassy stuff.  Nothing to eat.>

50/50 Friday: First/Last ___ Book You've Read (specific genre, etc)

For this prompt, the genre I've selected is noir - I love the genre, but I always feel like I don't talk about it enough. 


First (that I can specifically remember, anyway) - The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett - I loved it and I haven't looked back from there!


Last - Revival, Deluxe Collection Volume 1 by Tim Seeley - Rural noir horror - with zombies! As soon as I caught wind of this from Chew I knew I needed it in my life.  Now, I absolutely need to continue the series.

Have you read any of these books?  What are you reading today?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Hunted sounds crazy! I've only read the first book in the series, but I'd like to catch up😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. That beginning is so randomly specific! I love it! I have The Maltese Falcon on my TBR for this year. I'm a huge mystery lover but somehow I haven't read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to catch up on this series. I read the first three books before my brother kidnapped the set. This week I am spotlighting Close to the Edge by Dawn Ryder. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI!!!

    I absolutely love that beginning! You're 'so excited' gif made me laugh!.

    Here's mine: http://bit.ly/2CgXiSz

    Happy Weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your, even lol Hate that!!!! I can spell honest...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Revival, sounds like something right up my ally! I need to check it out.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hunted sounds sooo good! I love that opening. I can see why you are excited to read it! I've read The Maltese Falcon and enjoyed it. I'm not familiar with Revival, but it sound good! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read The Maltese Falcon a looooooooooong time ago, I should give it a re-read sometime. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. That beginning was enough to draw me in. Will have to look up the first book. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard about this series, but it seems promising. The fact that you're on book six speaks for itself :) Happy Friday, Lauren!

    My Friday post

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read anything from the noir fiction genre but I definitely need too; it sounds right up my alley and I try to read a little of everything! The Maltese Falcon looks especially good so I think I may start there :) Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  12. The character in the beginning sounds wacky and fun. I'm going to have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's just pretty awesome! :)

      The series starts with Hounded, Roberta. :)

      Delete
  13. Oooooh! Revival, Deluxe Collection Volume 1 by Tim Seeley looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to read this series! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had the first book in the Iron Druid Chronicles on my shelf for ages now. I need to read it already. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. I plan to start reading the Iron Druid Chronicles very soon. I have the first 4 audiobooks ready to go. This one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luke Daniels makes an awesome narrator. Happy listening!

      Delete
  17. THE MALTESE FALCON IS SO GOOD. And you just mentioned the Iron Druid books in a comment on my blog, so I'm really interested in them if they were good enough to spotlight here as well! Thanks for the suggestion:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, someone who's always thinking about food. Sounds just like me. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a new series for me. I do really love mythology, so I will definitely add this to my list. Thanks so much for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early