Skip to main content

Sunday Funday - Black Panther & A Wrinkle In Time


Happy Sunday everyone!  Today I'll be sharing my thoughts on two movies I've seen lately at the theater that I was highly anticipating.  Read on for my mini reviews of Black Panther and A Wrinkle in Time and to see what movies I hope to see next at the theater:


❋ ❋ ❋  

T'Challa, aka the Black Panther, was one of my favorite characters in Captain America: Civil War so needless to say I was very excited to see his first solo outing on the big screen.  Luckily for me, I was not disappointed in the least!  I loved getting a look into the colorful world of Wakanda and meeting all of the new characters (and seeing our returning cast).  As great as it was to see T'Challa again, Shuri and Okoye totally stole the show.  Shuri and T'Challa's sibling relationship was a lot of fun - and it was very cool to see Shuri take charge with all of the science and technology.  As for Okoye, I really appreciated her sense of honor and bravery - as well as her awesome fighting skills, of course.  Finally, Michael B. Jordan's Erik Killmonger is one of the best, most thought-provoking and complex villains the Marvel Cinematic Universe has given us (I'd say he's right up there with Loki).  I'd love to experience this movie at the theater another time!





❋ ❋ ❋ 

While not perfect, this movie adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time has so much going for it and so much to like.  Before I get into that, though, I'd like to mention a few of the minor stumbling points in the film.  A major point for me is the pacing - the beginning feels quite rushed while there are points that really drag, especially with the songs used in the movie (I like the songs, but in the scenes in the movie they didn't quite fit).  Plus, the dialogue in some scenes is a little clunky - I expect Charles Wallace is a difficult character to pull off, but unfortunately a bit good bit of this is comes from his character.  Now on to what I loved, to start with the visuals are absolutely stunning and it's a joy to see up on the big screen.  Otherwise, I love the fact that the story is so determined, hopeful, and inclusive.  I also really appreciate the casting of A Wrinkle in Time, especially for Storm Reid and Chris Pine.  Both of them gave fantastic performances in their roles.  I didn't know what to expect from Pine as Mr. Murry, but he owned the part and practically stole the show even though he doesn't have a whole lot of screen time.  As for Reid, I don't think I could have asked for a better person to portray Meg.  I will definitely be watching this young actress's future career.



Next up: 


Love, Simon - Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli is one of my favorite YA contemporary novels and I can't wait to see Simon's story on the big screen.  So far all of the trailers I've seen look incredibly promising!


Ready Player One - Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is so much fun and I just can't wait to see this on the big screen.  The trailer looks so cool and fingers crossed that the movie brings it all to life!

Have you seen either of these movies?  What have you watched lately and what do you want to see next?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I haven't seen Black Panther yet, but it sounds amazing. I hope that you enjoy the next films that you are planning to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I'm so glad you enjoyed Black Panther! I loved it as well. Cannot wait for Ready Player One!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I can't believe I haven't seen Black Panther yet! Must go soon. And Ready Player One is at the top of my must see list. I hope it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to see Black Panther.
    I've been seeing trailers for the rest, they all look good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesss I'm so glad you loved Black Panther! It was fantastic! I've heard... not great things about A Wrinkle In Time so I'm not surprised to see that you didn't love it. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad - it definitely needs to be seen by kids, though. It feels like it feels like its more for a younger audience.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to see Black Panther! It sounds so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard the raves about Black Panther. Sounds like one worth seeing, though I don't go to the movies very often.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early