Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Children of Icarus (Children of Icarus #1) by Caighlan Smith + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Children of Icarus (Children of Icarus #1) by Caighlan Smith.  I got approved for the sequel Children of Daedala on NetGalley (I didn't realize it was actually a sequel at the time), so I figured I'd better tackle book one before I jump into the sequel.  So, here we go:


Beginning: 

I count every ding in the elevator on the way up.  Fifteen.  Sixteen.  I don't look at the number Clara pressed.  I don't listen to her or the others now as they chatter about the parade.  I just keep counting and praying to Icarus that it's not twenty-three, not the balcony floor.

56:

I stare at the monster again.  Its wings have curled around its corpse.  its head is turned to the side against the stones, facing me.  It's black eyes are wide open and I feel like even in death it can see me.  I half expect it to blink.

50/50 Friday - Best/ Worst Graphic Novel/ Manga You've Read


Best Manga - Death Note by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - I read this series ages ago and it's still one of my favorites.  By the way, I also love the the anime and the live action movies - the original ones, not the American one on Netflix (still haven't brought myself to that one yet).


Worst Manga - Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Volume 1 by James Patterson, Gabrielle Charbonnet, Svetlana Chmakova - I've never read the book that this is based on and I probably never will after this.  Not even 100% sure why I picked this up actually.

Have you read any of these books?  What are you reading this Friday?  As always, thanks very much for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. HI! Some great choices (again!) I've got to get that Icarus one... also, I have the Death Note Series - I love them!! I love how you read from back to front, too. ;) Yep, I'm easily sold lol

    Here is my choice for this week: http://bit.ly/2FHVPqf

    Have a wonderful weekend, with lots of reading time! Hope you continue to enjoy your books. I cannot see why you wouldn't. :-)

    Luv Sass x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Sassy! Unfortunately I didn't like the Icarus book as much as I was hoping. But yes, Death Note is awesome! :)

      Delete
  2. Intense 56!!! Sounds creepytastically like my kind of read! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't really a book I would be drawn too but I love the voice of the teasers and the 56 is definitely intense! I might have to add this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely like to know what you think of it, Katherine.

      Delete
  4. I do the same thing. I have to start a series from the beginning. This week I am spotlighting The Broken Girls by Simone St. James. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see what I think of the sequel - wasn't terribly impressed by book one unfortunately.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I'm not much into fantasy or monsters, but I like the book's beginning. Makes me wonder what's so terrible about the 23rd floor!
    My Friday post features Before We Were Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely left me with a lot of questions... :)

      Thanks for sharing, Sandra!

      Delete
  6. I have not read much manga or graphic novels, so will have to check your favorite one out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much for manga, but that 56 sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing :)
    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did that recently! I was approved for the second book in a series and had to speed read the first book before I could get to it.

    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you liked both of them! :)

      Thanks for sharing, Lindsi.

      Delete
  9. I just featured Death Note on my Friday Cover Conversations post! I haven't read any of them yet but Death Note is one of my all time favorite anime series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Death Note is the most amazing manga/anime ever. I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw on Goodreads you gave Children of Icarus two stars. You must not have high expectations for the second book now... I bet it will happen to me sometime too that I request a sequel by mistake. Sometimes you just don't realise and you're in for a surprise, haha.

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen this book cover, but am now just realizing it has faces on it! Yes, best to get to the first book before diving into the sequel, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep seeing more and more manga around and I really need to try some! I think I'm just not sure where to start when now is as good a time as any! It's pretty much one of the only genres that I haven't read yet and I need to remedy that. Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early