Skip to main content

Book Riot's 2019 Read Harder Challenge - October Update: Elementary, She Read & #Girlboss


November already?  What the heck!  Anyway, now that means that I've completed 20 out of 24 books of Book Riot's 2019 Read Harder Challenge!  The tasks I completed  this month required me to read a cozy mystery and a business book.  For the tasks, I selected Elementary, She Read (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery #1) by Vicki Delany and #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso.  Read on to see my mini reviews and what's next for November:



❋ ❋ ❋ 

Cozy mysteries aren't usually my style, but as a fan of Sherlock Holmes I really got a kick out of Elementary, She Read by Vicki Delany.  I've never read the author before, but I know that I'll need to come back for the sequel to this series opener, Body on Baker Street.  What really makes this mystery for me is the cast of characters, Gemma herself being my favorite but her friend Jayne is also pretty great as well.  If you love a good mystery and the great detective, you're going to have to pick this up. 


My review is also on Goodreads.



❋ 


A lot of the advice in #Girlboss isn't bad, but honestly I'd like an updated version of this since Nasty Gal went bankrupt in 2016 and was bought by and is now operated by another group as of 2017.  Also that Donald Trump quote left a bad taste in my mouth.  Business books really aren't my thing.  I doubt I'll be reading more unless it's required.

My review can also be found on Goodreads.




Next Up For November:

A children’s or middle grade book (not YA) that has won a diversity award since 2009


My choice: Lily & Dunkin by Donna Gephart - Rainbow Booklist 2017 - This sounds like it will be a thoughtful and heartwarming read.

A book of nonviolent true crime


My choice: Catch Me If You Can by Frank W. Abagnale with Stan Redding - Catch Me If You Can is one of my favorite movies and I'd love to have the opportunity to read the true crime book that inspired it.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you taking part in Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and possibly even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Elementary, She Read sounds delightful. I've started reading cozy mysteries lately, I kinda like them. And of course Sherlock Holmes is a forever favourite.

    I tagged you in the "5 star books in 5 words" challenge, see my post here. If you have time to complete it, I'd be happy to see your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A book of non violent true crime - what fun! Looks like you picked a good one. Also, I didn't know the movie was based on a real event😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea until just recently - I can't wait to see how it goes down.

      Delete
  3. all the covers make me think they would be fun reads and i love catch me if you can too. i love reading true crime, so this may be one i pick up from the library. thanks for sharing
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right?! HOW is it November already?! This year is FLYING.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early