Skip to main content

Mini ARC Reviews - The Girl with No Face, The Art of Theft, The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols, & The Absinthe Earl


Happy Monday everyone!  Today I'm sharing four mini ARC reviews with you: The Girl with No Face (The Daoshi Chronicles #2) by M.H. Boroson (available October 8th, 2019), The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock #4) by Sherry Thomas (available October 15th, 2019), The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols by Nicholas Meyer (available October 15th, 2019), and The Absinthe Earl (The Faery Rehistory #1) by Sharon Lynn Fisher (available October 15th, 2019).  I received all of these ARCs from NetGalley in exchange for honest reviews.  Read on to see my thoughts on them:


 ❋  ❋  

The Girl with No Face by M.H. Boroson is an absolutely brilliant sequel to The Girl with Ghost Eyes. I'm thrilled I was somehow approved for this via NetGalley since book is one of my favorites. Obviously, my expectations were incredibly high going into this sequel, but I shouldn't have worried because this novel was just about everything I could have wanted. Historical fantasy is one of my favorite genres and Boroson writes some of the best. His Daoshi Chronicles deserves all of the love and attention it can get. The author's characters are all so fantastic, but Li-lin is still one of the best leading ladies I've had the opportunity to get to know. She isn't perfect and she's had a rough way to go, but her resolve, hard work, and sense of loyalty give her a relatable strength regardless of the unusual abilities her yin eyes give her. Mr. Yanqiu, the spirit of her father's gouged out eye and Li-lin's friend, still totally manages to steal the show. Finally, I have to mention just how amazing the author's world-building skill are. You can tell he's done his research as he's integrated real world events into the magical world Li-lin finds herself right in the middle of. The setting feels just as much of a character as any member of the cast. Overall, I can't recommend The Girl with No Face (The Daoshi Chronicles #2) by M.H. Boroson enough. If you haven't started in on this series yet, what are you waiting for? If you're a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural, Spirited Away, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I have a feeling you'll love this series too. I'm dying for revisit this world in the future and I can't wait to read anything Boroson decides to write in the future.


My review can also be found on Goodreads.



 ❋  ❋ 

Sherry Thomas's Lady Sherlock series just keeps getting better and better. I'm absolutely thrilled that I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy via NetGalley and luckily it absolutely lived up to my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Charlotte, Mrs. Watson, Lord Ingham, and all the rest again. I honestly couldn't put it down and sped right through it. It's a real race to solve this complex mystery. There is so much more I need to know and I can't wait to read more from this author. Plus, I *need* book five in this series after that ending!

My review can also be found on Goodreads.



 ❋  ❋ 

If you didn't already know, Sherlock Holmes is one of my all time favorite characters, so I was absolutely thrilled when I was approved for The Adventure of the Peculiar Protocols by Nicholas Meyer. It's such a cool concept that this is from one of John Watson's recently found journals. Aside from spending more time with some favorite characters, I love that Meyer's voice sounds so much like Conan Doyle's original stories. Plus, the "editor's" footnotes are so intriguing. If you are a fan of Holmes and The Seven Per-Cent Solution, I highly recommend giving this mystery a try.

My review is can also be found on Goodreads.



 ❋ 

The Absinthe Earl by Sharon Lynn Fisher is a historical fantasy romance that brings in elements of Celtic mythology. Ada, a Trinity College student, is researching the connections between drinking absinthe and seeing the fey when she meets Lord Edward who happens to see a banshee near her as she interviews him. Lord Edward is determined to save her from the potential death threat that the banshee represents, so he asks for her to help him on a job for the queen and on that mission they uncover a bigger threat to the wider world. Fisher's world-building is my favorite aspect of this series opener. It's clear that she's done a lot of research with all of the detail in Ada's world, plus all of the Irish mythology that it features. The romance stuff wasn't really for me, but I liked Ada and Lord Edward together especially their banter. Overall, I liked The Absinthe Earl but I would have preferred it to be a little heavier on the fantasy than on the romance. I am looking forward to reading book two of The Faery Rehistory series from Sharon Lynn Fisher, it could become a favorite.

My review can also be found on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books or are you planning on trying any of them?  What have you been reading?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early