Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Half-Resurrection Blues (Bone Street Rumba #1) by Daniel Jose Older + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my OWNtober reads, Half-Resurrection Blues (Bone Street Rumba #1) by Daniel Jose Older.  I really like this author's YA Shadowshaper series and I'm glad to be picking up more of his work now.

Beginning:

It's just past eleven p.m. on December thirty-first - that dizzy in between time when we're not quite here but not yet there - and hip, young white kids crowd the trendy streets of Park Slope, Brooklyn.

56:

He nods like he understands, which is endearing even though he obviously has no clue what's going on.

50/50 Friday: Favorite/ Least Favorite Orange Cover


Favorite - The Martian by Andy Weir - Can you blame me for picking this favorite?


Least Favorite - I Am Number Four (The Lorien Legacies #1) by Pittacus Lore - I've never been particularly interested in trying this series, and I have to admit this cover doesn't really inspire me.


Have you read any of these books?  What are you reading this weekend?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I'd love to get to Half Resurrection Blues someday, and those lines are drawing me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I hope you enjoy it when you get there. :)

      Delete
  2. The Martian is such a stunning yet terrifying novel cover! It's awesome!

    Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Daniel Older's writing, too. I haven't heard of this series however. Enjoy. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it will be awesome. Thanks for sharing, Anne.

      Delete
  4. I can agree with you on the covers, and I like the sounds of you read this week too! Happy CDN Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about the cover for The Martian. I like the colors and how perfectly it suits the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you enjoy this one as much as the author's other series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early