Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Movies Released Before 2010 That I Watched For The First Time In 2019


Happy Tuesday everyone!  Welcome to the Top Ten Tuesday now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.  This week's topic is a freebie, so I thought I would share my favorite movies released before 2010 that I watched for the first time in 2019.  I can't recommend all of these films enough!  Here we go, in alphabetical order by title:


High and Low (1963) - One of the best crime thrillers I've ever seen and so far my favorite Akira Kurosawa movie.  Let's just say I wouldn't want to be on Chief Detective Tokura's bad side!


Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - Perry is Val Kilmer's best role.


The Manchurian Candidate (1962) - Skip the 2004 remake, watch the original masterpiece.  Now I fully understand why Tony calls Bucky the Manchurian Candidate in Captain America: Civil War.


The Phantom Carriage (1921) - You know that scene in The Shining where Jack uses the axe to chop down the door to get to Wendy and Danny?  Yeah, it was directly inspired by a scene in this silent Swedish horror movie.


Police Story (1985) - This is the best Jackie Chan movie by far that I've ever seen and a brilliant action comedy at that.  Jackie Chan's stunts in this make Tom Cruise's in the Mission Impossible series look like nothing.


This is Spinal Tap (1984) - I laughed til I cried watching this rockumentary.  I still can't get over the fact that Mr. Green from Clue and Count Rugen from The Princess Bride are in this!


Twelve Monkeys (1995) - This post-apocalyptic time travel movie is awesome.  Bruce Willis is great, but Brad Pitt steals the show.


UHF (1989) - I didn't know how much I needed that parody of the Beverly Hillbillies theme set to Money for Nothing by Dire Straits before I watched this.  I have a feeling you'll love this if you're a fan of Raising Arizona and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.


Wait Until Dark (1967) - All I needed to hear was Audrey Hepburn in a thriller and I was sold.  Basically, it's sort of a flipped take on Don't Breathe.


Zodiac (2007) - Bruce Banner, Tony Stark, and Quentin Beck star in this nail biting thriller about the Zodiac killer from the people behind the movie Se7en.  If that's not enough to draw your attention, I don't know what is.


Have you seen any of these movies?  What are some of your favorite older movies?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I haven't seen any of these! I'll have to check them out. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Police Story sounds like a fun read.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be cool to see a novel adaptation of it. :)

      Delete
  3. There are some movies here that I'd love to watch, I'm really intrigued by The Phantom Carriage. And Twelve Monkeys! Wow, I haven't seen that in years😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your thoughts on The Phantom Carriage if you ever get the chance to see it, Tammy. :)

      Delete
  4. Jackie Chan in anything, well, comedies at least, are always fun to watch. Police Story is quite fun and enjoyable and he did made more of these. I think Chan is at his best when he does action comedies.

    I heard there was a play based on Wait Until Dark but I didn't see it but the movie is great. I'm so used to seeing Audrey Hepburn in romantic comedies but seeing this movie makes me realized she truly deserved that Oscar.

    I didn't see the other movies listed here except Twelve Monkeys which I thought is an okay movie, I didn't care much for Brad Pitt's character, it's Bruce Willis' character that I rooted for.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen Police Story 2 just shortly after watching the original. I'd love to see more of them as well. :)

      Delete
  5. i am enjoying seeing these lists flying around the blogosphere. i see i have some catching up to do
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only one I know I've seen on your list is 12 Monkeys. You're ahead of me!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw This is Spinal Tap in the theatre. That movie was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever seen any of these. I need to watch 12 Monkeys!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven’t seen any of these, but I do want to see The Manchurian Candidate eventually. I feel like I’ve been hearing about it for my entire life.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early