Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Dragonwyck by Anya Seton + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.



This week I'm spotlighting one of my Beat the Backlist reads, Dragonwyck by Anya Seton.  I enjoyed the 1946 movie adaptation of this 1944 novel, so I'm really looking forward to trying the source material.

Beginning:

It was an afternoon in May of 1844 that the letter came from Dragonwyck.

56:

The embarrassed color flew to her face, as it always did when he reproved her, but she saw with startled joy that this reproof was different, for there was no censure in his tone, rather an unexpected lightness as though he teased her, and there was warmth in his piercingly blue gaze as he looked down at her.

50/50 Friday: Book VS. EReader

Either are fine, but if I have my choice between exactly the same thing on both I'm going to pick the hardcopy book.

Have you read this book?  Are you taking part in this reading challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I'll be curious to see what you think of this book when you've finished it😁 The language is very...old fashioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to say it but I think I preferred the movie. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm intrigued for more! Happy Friday the 13th weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hardback are the best! They also hold on longer than paperbacks and that's something I love.

    Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dragonwyck was written in 1944? For some reason I didn't realize that fantasy fiction wasn't a modern invention. My quotes from THE DUTCH HOUSE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is actually historical fiction set in the 1800s - it's the name of the house in this case. :)

      Delete
  5. Dragonwyck looks interesting, and I like the quotes. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are there dragons? Pretty sure there should be dragons in Dragonwyck. xD I love that name, though. It's so fun to say! Sounds like a fun read.

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, the title is the name of the house. That'd be so cool though if there were! :)

      Delete
  7. I love that 56 excerpt. I haven't read Dragonwyck.

    I read both e-books and paper books, although mostly e-books these days.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haven't read the book but anything with dragon in the title makes me stop and look. hope you enjoy it
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely intrigued! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early