Skip to main content

2019 End of Year Survey

Happy Sunday everyone and welcome to the 2019 End of Year Book Survey, hosted by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner!  This is actually my fifth time taking part - check out my posts from 201520162017, and 2018 if you dare.  Anyway, without further ado, let's get to the tag:

2019 Reading Stats

Number Of Books You Read: 457

Number of Re-Reads: 0 that I can think of

Genre You Read The Most From: YA and Fantasy - No real surprise there.


1. Best Book You Read In 2018? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2019 release vs. backlist)



Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World #2) by Rebecca Roanhorse - This series has been brilliant and it deserves more than five stars.  I can't wait to see what happens next.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn't



A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell - I absolutely loved the neo-noir crime comedy movie adaptation with an awesome soundtrack, then I tried to read the book and ended up DNF'ing it at only 20% in.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?



Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1: High School is Hell by Jordie Bellaire & Dan Mora - I gave up on the comic book continuation of the iconic tv series ages ago, but this updated graphic novel take on the story was absolutely delightful!

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?



Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, With by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman - It's got to be this one.  It's an all time favorite of mine and what with the brilliant miniseries adaptation on Amazon Prime earlier this year I couldn't stop talking about either!  And that goes for friends of mine, and library patrons, and pretty much anyone really.

5. Best series you started in 2019? Best Sequel of 2019? Best Series Ender of 2019?



Opener - Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards #1) by Jennifer Estep - I feel like I don't talk about this one often enough.  It was my first book by this author and I need to read sequel as soon as possible.  I just happened to find the audiobook on Libby and it sucked me right in.


Sequel - Jade War (The Green Bone Saga #2) by Fonda Lee - Fonda Lee is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites and a lot of that is thanks to this series.  At this point, I would die for my clan.


Ender - Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3) by Vivian Shaw - I had the opportunity to finish off several great series this year, but this series definitely deserves all the attention it can get.  If you're a fan of Good Omens and Supernatural, I can't recommend it enough.  If only it wasn't all over...

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2019?



I can't decide between Fonda Lee and Rebecca Roanhorse.  They're both brilliant and I'll read anything they care to write.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?



Across a Broken Shore by Amy Trueblood - This author is so talented.  If you're looking for great YA historical fiction, she's the way to go.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/ unputdownable book of the year?



The Queen of Nothing (Folk of the Air #3) by Holly Black - Honestly, this could have made several best of categories on this list.

9. Book You Read In 2019 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?



William Shakespeare's Get Thee... Back to the Future! by Ian Doescher - I read the paperback edition of this and it was absolutely delightful.  I'd pay good money to see it staged, but the closest I'll get to is the audiobook edition.  I don't reread often, but I will for this.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2019?



Titanshade (The Carter Archives #1) by Dan Stout - Doesn't this looks so cool?!  Luckily, the story matches the matches the awesomeness of that cover.  I can't wait to read the sequel which is due out in April.

11. Most memorable character of 2019?




Li-lin from The Girl With No Face (The Daoshi Chronicles #2) by M.H. Boroson & Maggie from Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse - I couldn't decide on just one, but these two are both outstanding ladies.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2019?



Damsel by Elana K. Arnold - I was incredibly impressed with this standalone twisted fairy tale.  I can't recommend it enough and I need to read more from this author.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2019?



Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs: Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death by Caitlin Doughty - Caitlin Doughty is fascinating and I enjoy watching her YouTube series called Ask A Mortician.  In her newest nonfiction book here she actually takes questions from kids.  Her sense of humor is great and her answers are quite insightful.


14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2019 to finally read?



The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer - I had this on my shelf for ages, but I'm so glad I finally took the time to read this book featuring Sherlock Holmes, one of my all time favorite characters.  I can't wait to read more of Meyer's Sherlock.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2019?



“Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.”
-Wonder by R.J. Palacio

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2019?



Shortest - Mini House: Old MacDonald's by Peter Lippman - 20 pages - This is hands down the cutest little board book I've ever seen.  It's even three dimensional!  A copy of it just happened to be donated to the library where I work.


Longest - Le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Mallory - 938 pages - I'm so glad I finally read this for Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge in April.

17. Book That Shocked You The Most (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)



Summoned to the Thirteenth Grave (Charley Davidson #13) by Darynda Jones - The ending of this series was absolutely amazing.  I couldn't have asked for more - except maybe a spin-off.  I just need to see more of these characters again!

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) (OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)


Dwight and Caroline from The Black Moon (The Poldark Saga #5) by Winston Graham -  Who am I kidding, it's the same as pair as last year.  By the way, the tv adaptation of this book series is one of my favorites and I've quickly gotten hooked on the original novels.  If only the tv series wasn't already over.  Maybe there'll be a series to cover the final two novels in the future.  As much as I like Ross and Demelza, Dwight and Caroline are my favorite couple of the series.  I will say though that Drake and Morwenna give them a run for their money.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year



Sam and Dean Winchester from Carved in Flesh (Supernatural #12) by Tim Waggoner - The Winchester brothers are a couple of my favorite siblings from tv and luckily this tie-in Supernatural novel featuring an all new story set during season 7 really delivered.  In fact, it was a five star read.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2019 From An Author You’ve Read Previously



Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle #1) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - I adored The Illuminae Files from this duo and they delivered again here!

21. Best Book You Read In 2019 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:



The Mercury 13 by Martha Ackmann - My library hosted travelling exhibit on The Mercury 13 (a group of 13 American women pilots formed in 1959 who trained to be astronauts before the program was ultimately scrapped in 1962) and it was absolutely incredible.  The library added this book to the collection to coincide with the exhibit.  Many of our regular patrons devoured it and so did must of our staff.  Needless to say, this nonfiction book is a must read if you're interested in the history of women in space, aviation, and NASA.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2019?

Ummm, I don't have one.

23. Best 2019 debut you read?



The Last 8 (The Last 8 #1) by Laura Pohl - I feel like this YA sci-fi novel hasn't gotten near enough attention.  I loved the Pohl's LGBT brand of Independence Day meets The 5th Wave.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?


Jade War (The Green Bone Saga #2) by Fonda Lee - The world of Kekon of The Green Bone Saga pops right off the page.  If you haven't visited, I highly recommend that you do so.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?



An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason by Virigina Boecker - This was a delight - just think it's like if A Knight's Tale was written by Mackenzi Lee.  If that doesn't sound awesome, I don't know what does.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2019?



Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka - This YA graphic memoir is a must read, but it isn't an easy one.  Young Jarrett had a rough way to go.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?



White Rose by Kip Wilson - This is an absolutely stunning novel in verse about the life Sophie Scholl.  If you enjoyed The Book Thief by Markus Zusak or Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, you'll need to read this.  It definitely deserves all the love it can get.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?



Stranger Things: The Other Side by Jody Houser - As a fan of Stranger Things I was really looking forward to this graphic novel about Will's side of the story during season one.  Unfortunately, it's not worth your time.  It's boring and dull and adds nothing to his character.  Also the art was pretty lackluster.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2019?



On the Come Up by Angie Thomas - Bahni Turpin's narration on the audiobook production really makes this stand out as unique.  She does a brilliant job of performing as Bri.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?



I Spy the Boy Next Door by Samantha Armstrong - This sounded like a fun light read, but it turned into a grating mess.  Too many cheesy cliches for me.  Plus the whole spying thing got kind of creepy.



1. New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2019?

Sorry to say that I have a hard time remembering when I've followed anyone.  Usually that all blends together...

2. Favorite post you wrote in 2019?

I loved putting together this Top Ten Tuesday post in August.

3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2019?



I was so delighted to receive this book mail with an ARC of Sensational (Spectacle #2) by Jodie Lynn Zdrok from the author.  I can't wait to read it!

4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)?




I had a great time participating in The Reading Rush for the first time this year back in July.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2019?

I went to my local indie bookstore check out what they had in. The owner who always likes to know what you're reading the last book I read that I absolutely loved.  I mentioned Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World #2) by Rebecca Roanhorse and how much I loved the series and why.  She wasn't familiar with it so I talked about it and totally sold her on it.  She ordered them for the store on the spot!  They currently keep them in stock - what a trip!

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

Mostly making the time, as usual.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Looks like my most popular post on my blog this year by views is My Own Books Reading Challenge - Wrap Up and Mini Reviews.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

I enjoyed every second of putting together my Sci-Fi Month post about Awesome Longcoats, but it hasn't gotten a whole lot of love.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

I practice my foreign language skills using Duolingo and I love practicing my French reading and listening skills with Duolingo Stories.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Yes, I completed my Goodreads Reading ChallengeBook Riot's Read Harder Challenge, and Beat the Backlist Challenge

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2019 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2020?



Sword and Pen (The Great Library #5) by Rachel Caine - I love this series so much, but I'm just not ready for it to all be over in this series finale.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2020 (non-debut)?


Peace Talks (The Dresden Files #16) by Jim Butcher - This has been one of my favorite series and the next installment is finally due out on July 14, 2020.

3. 2020 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?




I can't decide between Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine #1) by Lora Beth Johnson and Star Daughter by Shveta Thakrar!  They both sound so fantastic!

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?



The King of Crows (The Diviners #4) by Libba Bray - There are a lot of sequels and series enders coming up that I'm looking forward to, but this one is currently at the top of my list!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?

I'm hoping to complete Book Riot's 2020 Read Harder Challenge and the 2020 Popsugar Reading Challenge - I'm going to get in a lot of great reading done in the coming year!

6. A 2020 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):



The Art of Resistance by Justus Rosenberg - Release date: January 28, 2020 - This is an absolutely amazing memoir of the now 98 year old former Eastern European Jew's work with the French Underground.


Have you taken the 2019 End of Year Survey?  What books have you loved this year and what are you looking forward to in the coming year?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. 457?! DANG! Nice work!! I love this tag so much. And aww, I love that quote from Wonder! <3 Making time for blogging was one of my biggest challenges as well... There just aren't enough hours in the day! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The audiobooks whole listening to audiobooks while driving, working out, and/ or doing chores really add up!

      Delete
  2. I might try to do this post soon. I did it years ago but I just haven't had time to pull it together in the past few years. Ok, how in the world did you read 457 books???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always read fast, and the whole listening to audiobooks when I'm driving and stuff that helps. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, you read 457 books? I wish I could do that. My TBR shelf would feel much less overwhelming. Good luck with your 2020 reading!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, I almost spit out my coffee reading how many books you read this year. You are a star! Yes, to Storm of Locusts. I love that series so much. Love that you advocated it into a bookstore, haha. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just about did the same thing when I saw the number for the first time too! :)

      Delete
  5. You got through so many books this year! How on earth did you narrow anything down for this list?
    Now I have a few more books to add to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I could sort it out by my ratings. That made it a little easier.

      Delete
  6. I desperately need to read Trail of Lightning; I've heard so many great things!

    I'm reading Jade City - about 30% in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're awesome! I hope you like it and Jade City. :)

      Delete
  7. 457 books! Wowza that's awesome. :) I really need to read Storm of Locusts (and the first one too). And Jade war looks awesome- another series I wanted to read but haven't started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have have feeling you would love that series, Greg!

      Delete
  8. You read some fabulous books last year. I'm waiting and waiting (is the cataloging staff reading this one?) for Queen of Nothing at my library. I keep meaning to read Hey, Kiddo. So many good books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry A Simple Favor didn't work for you. I haven't heard too much about that one, but I like the premise. I haven't yet read Good Omens, but I'm thinking I should. :-) I do love Gaiman. I haven't read Pratchett before. Across a Broken Shore sounds like something I would really like. I love that cover. Oh! I am adding Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs: Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death by Caitlin Doughty to my wish list right now. Okay. I'm back. You have read so many great books this year, Lauren. I hope 2020 is just as great, if not better, reading year for you. Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Omens is an all time favorite, so I hope you really enjoy it if you get to it. :)

      Thanks very much and thanks for coming over!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early