Skip to main content

Dodger by Terry Pratchett - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

Dodger, a seventeen year-old street urchin, is a tosher and he knows a treasure when he sees one. That's why he saves a girl he doesn't know from being kidnapped. He doesn't realize the impact his actions will have on some of the most powerful people in England and just how much his life will change as a result. Dodger runs across the likes of Charles Dickens, Benjamin Disraeli, and Sweeny Todd in this imaginative historical-fantasy by Terry Pratchett.

I listened to the audiobook of this story and I enjoyed every second of it. Terry Pratchett's historical-fantasy is wonderful, and subtle enough to just slightly warp history. I really got a kick out of Dodger's interactions with Charles Dickens, since Dodger goes on to be the inspiration for the Artful Dodger in Oliver Twist.

That being said there were quite a few moments that went something like this:



If you're interested in Dickensian and Victorian London, Pratchett's style and sense of humor, and subtle historical-fantasy, you can't get much better.


I listened to this audiobook from June 2 - 9, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. Ooh, I downloaded the audio book too but haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. I wasn't sure how this compared to Pratchett's Discword series (I knew it wasn't part of it, though) but it sounds like the humor is pretty typical for him. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I hope you enjoy Dodger! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early