Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Quantum Thief (Jean Le Flambeur #1) by Hannu Rajaniemi


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting my upcoming read, The Quantum Thief (Jean Le Flambeur #1) by Hannu Rajaniemi.  It sounds like it's going to be an awesome, mind-bending cyberunk novel.   And, I found this at my local bookstore when they had a huge sale and I was able to snag my copy for half off!  

Book Beginning:

As always, before the warmind and I shoot each other, I try to make small talk.

"Prisons are always the same, don't you think?"

I don't even know if it can hear me.  It has no visible auditory organs, just eyes, human eyes, hundreds of them in the ends of stalks that radiate from its body like some exotic fruit.  It hovers on the other side of the glowing line that separates our cells.  The huge silver Colt would look ridiculous in the grip of its twig-like manipulator limbs if it hadn't already shot me with it fourteen thousand times.

56:

Isidore eats octopus risotto for lunch in a small restaurant on the edge of the park.  The ink leaving interesting pattern in the napkin when he dabs his lips.  He sits and watches people in the park for half an hour, scribbling in his notebook, making observations.  Then he gets up and goes back to the chocolate factory to spring his trap.

Comments

  1. Ew.w.w ---octopus risotto and then work at a chocolate factory. They seem incongruous. Notice how I mentioned the food not the plot lines. Ha! My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a strange-looking creature. This book is definitely different! I hope you enjoy the story.
    My Friday post features The Runaway Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh what trap is he springing? Octopus, chocolate and a trap, I like the odd mix of food in this sentence!

    Great pick.
    My Friday 56: http://wp.me/p4IAgx-3H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to know too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad I ate before I read this. Octopus and chocolate? No thanks! And what/who is he trapping???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder...at least he's not having both at the same time.

      Delete
  5. I'm curious about whats going on. I did okay with the octopus risotto until they mentioned the ink. :-x I'd love it if you'd visit my blog ... http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Octopus, Yuck! I wonder who he is planning to trap. Here is my Friday 56
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2015/06/friday-56-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to find out! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  7. Well, I'm not hungry anymore. LOL This sounds so fun and I love the cover!

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/06/26/the-friday-56-67-shadow-of-danger-by-kristine-mason/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly that snippet doesn't bother me all that much.

      Delete
  8. I like the excerpt (56), and the description of the observer. Enjoy! And congrats on getting a bargain.

    Here's mine: “THE HOUSE OF MEMORIES”

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds quite odd. I don't think it would be the book for me. I like my stories more straightforward. I hope you enjoy it. You can see my posts at #27 and #28 on Freda's linky. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like it is going to be a real mind bender, doesn't it! :)

      Delete
  10. This sounds interesting though maybe not for me. The 56 is really interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan liking the description myself. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. Hi! I've nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award!! Here is the link:
    https://escapeinsidethepages.wordpress.com/2015/06/26/blogger-recognition-award/

    Congrats! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Octopus risotto sounds gross... lol.. love the beginning though. The warmind sounds terrifying!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Octopus risotto - that's a new one.

    I'm new around the Friday56. Find me at Study.Read.Write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That I will probably never try. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  14. I'm already intrigued by this book! I love the writing and the author gives just a taste to get us more interested in the story. I hope you love this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just those to snippets really make me want to find out what's going on! :)

      Delete
  15. The tone in this 56 is very methodical and it sounds like the character is just methodical. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early