Skip to main content

Top Ten Favorite Characters Tag

I've been tagged by Emily @ Emily Etc. to participate in the Top Ten Favorite Characters Tag.  Thanks Emily!  Emily tweaked the tag by taking it from screen characters to book characters.  I'm going to do her version of the tag with book characters and do one for screen characters as well.  This should be fun! Here they are in alphabetical order:

Book Characters

Aragorn from The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

“Eomer said, 'How is a man to judge what to do in such times?'
As he has ever judged,' said Aragorn. 'Good and evil have not changed since yesteryear, nor are they one thing among Elves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.” 


Arya Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin

“Swift as a deer. Quiet as a shadow. Fear cuts deeper than swords. 
Quick as a snake. Calm as still water. Fear cuts deeper than swords. 
Strong as a bear. Fierce as a wolverine. Fear cuts deeper than swords. 
The man who fears losing has already lost. Fear cuts deeper than swords. 
Fear cuts deeper than swords. Fear cuts deeper than swords. 


Celaena Sardothien from Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas

“My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.” 



Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

"He's Gandalf on crack and an IV of Red Bull, with a big leather coat and a .44 revolver in his pocket." 


Hermione Granger from Harry Potter by JK Rowling

“Harry - you're a great wizard, you know." 
"I'm not as good as you," said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let go of him.
"Me!" said Hermione. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things - friendship and bravery and - oh Harry - be careful!” 



Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” 


Matilda Wormwood from Matilda by Roald Dahl

“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She traveled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” 



Moist von Lipwig from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

“Steal five dollars and you're a common thief. Steal thousands and you're either the government or a hero.” 



Richard Campbell Gansey III from The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

“While I'm gone," Gansey said, pausing, "dream me the world. Something new for every night.” 


Sherlock Holmes from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

“My mind," he said, "rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exaltation. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession, or rather created it, for I am the only one in the world.” 



Screen Characters

Aragorn from The Lord of the Rings, played by Viggo Mortensen


Dean Winchester from Supernatural, played by Jensen Ackles


The Doctor from Doctor Who, played by David Tennant


Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series, played by Emma Watson


Marty McFly from The Back to the Future Trilogy, played by Michael J. Fox


Merlin from Merlin, played by Colin Morgan


Monroe from Grimm, played by Silas Weir Mitchell


Peggy Carter from Agent Carter, played by Haley Atwell


Sherlock Holmes as played by Jeremy Brett


Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, played by James Marsters



Thanks again for tagging me, Emily!  

Since I'm not sure who has done this tag and who hasn't, I'll leave it up to you.  If you'd like to do this tag, feel free because it's a lot of fun.  Just be sure to link back to me so I can see your answers! 

Comments

  1. I love this! Due to my lack of TV experience (as discussed in my post) I don't know many of your screen ones, but I loooove your book list! I CANNOT BELIEVE I FORGOT ROALD DAHL! What a fool I am! Matilda should have featured on my list -- or actually, Danny's father from Danny the Champion of the World.

    Hermione is, of course, the forever queen. I love that quotation soooo much. It gave me goosebumps! I also love those lines from Jane Eyre.

    Also Aragorn. He was on my shortlist, though he couldn't *quite* make it to the final 10. Also GANSEY. I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. I'm so so so so so worried about the Raven King though ~cries forever~

    Celaena is an interesting choice. To be honest I didn't love her in Throne of Glass, but from what I'm heard one gets to like her more. I need to read the other books!

    Great post, Lauren. I'm glad you enjoyed this tag; I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again! There were so many characters who didn't quite make it into my final list. You know, I've never actually read Danny the Champion of the World.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I'm in love with your choices for this post. FANTASTIC picture for Harry Dresden (one of my very favorite scenes from the books).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is easily one of the best scenes! :) If you'd like to make your own list, I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  3. Haha!!! I love this tag! It's the first time I've seen it. Love Celaena, Hermione, and Jane Eyre (I was beginning to think I was the only one that likes her). However I think Matt Smith is my favorite doctor in the new series ;) Though David Tennant is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're definitely not when it comes to Jane. :)

      Smith is a very close second.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I love how you split the tag between book characters and on-screen characters. Although Benedict Cumberbatch for my Sherlock, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benedict Cumberbatch is a close second, extremely close second. :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. If I was going to list all the characters there that are also my favourites I'd be here for a while, so I'll just say that I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeah, that was pretty much my trouble when creating this list! :)

      Delete
  6. Brilliant!! So many great choices on here and I love the quotes! Aragorn, Matilda, the Tenth Doctor and Spike are my all time favourites, I'm glad they're loved :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! You can't go wrong with any of them! :)

      Delete
  7. Monroe, my baby. I love him to pieces because he is so clumsy and a total Hufflepuff (like me) but at the same time, he is fierce and loyal with a vengeance especially when it comes to his friends or Rosalie being in trouble...
    My friend always raves about the Harry Dredsen series, I definitely need to read it soon. I just got Codex Alera book #1 by the same author.
    This is a really great list and looks like such a fun tag! I might steal it if that's alright...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monroe is easily my favorite character on Grimm! The Dresden Files is the best - and Codex Alera (all I've read in that series so far) is also pretty great! I hope you enjoy it!

      Have at it - I would love to see your responses! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love this tag. I'm going to bookmark it and do it myself. Yay, Gansey and Peggy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early