Skip to main content

Unpopular Opinions Tag

I've tagged myself from Alicia @ A Kernel of Nonsense to complete the Unpopular Opinions Tag.  Since I don't know who else has done it, anyone can take part.


A book or series that everyone seemed to hate but you:



The book with the lowest average rating on Goodreads that I awarded five stars is The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters with a 3.49 average.  I read this for a class a few years ago and it was one my favorites from that semester.

A love triangle that didn't end the way you wanted it to:



Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Personally, I think it should have ended something like this:


Or, this:



A book genre you hardly ever reach for

Contemporary - I would usually prefer to reach for fantasy, sci-fi, or horror than the romance that is normally associated with contemporary.  One example of a contemporary that made my brain dribble out of my ears was Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar.  I just don't get the appeal.



However, I loved Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.


A popular or beloved character you did not like:

Juliette from Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


I used the GIF below for last week's edition of Top Ten Tuesday to describe my dislike of the her.



A popular author(s) you just can't enjoy:

Lauren Kate and Becca Fitzpatrick - I just can't do it.

A popular trope you're tired of

Instalove - see above.

A popular series you have no interest in reading

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - I've heard so many great things about this series, but it's just not my style.  I may eventually read it, but not any time soon.

A tv show/ movie that was better than the book


TV Show - The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith - I've only read the first book and didn't like it.  I found myself pleasantly surprised by the tv show, especially the first few seasons.  In this case, the changes from book to screen were for the better.



Movie - The Prestige by Christopher Priest - I loved the book, but I loved the movie even more.  This is probably one of my favorite book adaptations!




Comments

  1. I love how we're both on the same page when it comes to Hush, Hush and Shatter Me. Neither one of them do it for me and I agree so much, instalove is one of those tropes I hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't get into it either...Thanks for the open tag! It was a lot of fun to put together my unpopular opinions. :)

      Delete
  2. I do agree with you somewhat about contemporary. Actually I like the darker contemporaries more than the lighter ones. But I do make an exception for Rainbow Rowell. I love her stuff so much. Fangirl was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. I suppose I just haven't read enough of the genre to set the darker apart from the lighter...

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with Juliette! I couldn't stand her character at all and haven't continued that series for that reason. Also agree with Vampire Diaries. Forced myself through the first four books because I got them for free from a friend but reading them was like chewing glass. The show is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I heard they're doing a Shatter Me is going to be a tv show - maybe it will be like The Vampire Diaries... :)

      Delete
  4. If the Vampire Diaries (book) had Ian then it would have been epic. :)

    And those gifs for Twilight! Perfect! Gah, Twilight wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't have a very unhealthy romance at it's core.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early