Skip to main content

2020 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #4 & Mini Reviews


Happy Friday everyone!  Today, I'm sharing my fourth progress update and set of mini reviews for the books I've completed since my last update for the 2020 Popsugar Reading Challenge.  I've completed 6 books since then, for a total of 30 of 50 books complete.  That means I'm almost half way through - congrats to me!  Without further ado, here we go in the order I read them in:



❋ ❋ ❋ 

I really enjoyed getting to know Lada and her before her family in And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White but it sort of lost me to a degree. I'm going to have to continue this sseries pretty quickly. I'm really enjoying White's style.

My review is also on Goodreads.



❋  

I've seen and read so many adaptations of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne  and I'm glad I finally tried the original classic. I can't believe I'm saying it, but it's actually my first Jules Verne novel. I've got some catching up to do.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋  

I had high expectations for The Andromeda Strain (Andromeda #1) by Michael Critchton. He's written some of my favorite books, and some of my favorite movies as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't as nearly as invested in this as I was hoping to be. The book has no excuse being this boring. I guess I was expecting more of a thriller.

My review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋  

My choice: The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard #3) by Scott Lynch - I chose this from the 2018 heists prompt.  I've become really attached to this series and I can't wait to see what's next for Locke and Jean.  I plan on listening to it on audiobook since the production of the first two were so great.



❋ ❋ ❋ 

I don't know why I decided to put off It by Stephen King for so long. I mean, I've been totally traumatized by the adaptations, and I've read a lot of Stephen King in the past. On that note I was just as prepared as I could be for my first ever read through of this horror classic. It's mostly lived up to the hype. I enjoyed getting to know the characters right from the source - Ben, Beverly, and Eddie were my favorites here which were also my favorites from the new two part movie adaptation. It was also a pleasant surprise to see Dick Hallorann appear even if it was a very minor role. How did I not know that he crossed over into this novel as well? Even though this book is over 1100, it never really drags and it held my attention all the way through. I will say though that it could probably be cut down approximately 200 pages without really hurting the overall story. Also, I totally could have done without the orgy. King could have just skipped over that one - I would have been perfectly fine with a simple blood oath. Anyway, now that I've finally completed the novel I think I'll have to rewatch the most recent movie adaptations.


My review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋ 

Wayward Son (Simon Snow #2) by Rainbow Rowell is a fun follow up to Carry On. Yes, it takes it a minute to find its footing but once it does it really takes off. My favorite scene was easily the Renaissance Fair, but I was also tickled that they stop at Carhenge of Alliance, Nebraska during their road trip. It is just as delightfully weird and unexpected in real life. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen it feature in fiction. Euan Morton does a good job with the narration, but there are moments when it was difficult to differentiate between perspective characters.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Are you taking part in this reading challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thank for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. It's odd for a Michael Crichton book to be boring, and I don't think I've ever read The Andromeda Strain. I probably won't rush out and get a copy now😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Maybe if it were one of his later books...

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed And I Darken, but haven't continued the trilogy yet. Should probably find time for that. I hope you enjoy your May <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we'll both enjoy the rest of the series. Have a good weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early