Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Sparrow Hill Road (Ghost Roads #1) by Seanan McGuire + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


Happy Friday everyone!  This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Sparrow Hill Road (Ghost Roads #1) by Seanan McGuire. This author is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and I'm so glad to finally be jumping into this series opener. Plus, I just love this new redesigned edition of this book.

Beginnings: 

There is nothing more human than the ghost story.

56 (due to chapter breaks, it's actually 59 this time):

"The first time I saw her, I was nineteen."

50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Read Of April 2020


Best - European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club #2) by Theodora Goss - This series is so delightful and the audiobook narrated by Kate Reading was fantastic! I can't wait to read book three.


Worst - Murder, Murder by Mary Rita Marker - I only made it through the first chapter of this cozy mystery before DNF'ing it. I picked it up because it's set in the German Village neighborhood of Columbus, Ohio. It's always fun to see somewhere you recognize in fiction, especially when you rarely see your home state appear in the first place. Unfortunately, this just didn't work for me at all.


Have you read any of these books?  What are you reading this weekend?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Oh, I've heard good things about this author. Sounds like a good one!! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you love Sparrow Hill Road. I think I have it on my Kindle but completely forgot about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the beginning, but I don't think the book is for me. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine . . .https://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/2020/05/its-cozy-food-friday-that-means-its.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. great title...sparrow hill road. thanks for sharing
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard some mixed things about Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children series. This one sounds more up my alley.

    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the first two so far and I enjoyed them. This one as well. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm curious about how SEANAN pronounces his/her name. Ha! My brain today is going off in a million directions. My Friday quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I've never heard her name said out loud, so I'm probably nowhere near right. :)

      Delete
  7. So here is my problem...I love the idea of reading scary books. But I am a big fat coward and I have too vivid of an imagination SO whenever I try and read something even remotely scary I cannot sleep for days. But it looks soooo good!!! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman caught my eye! Thank you for sharing it :)
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming over, Konna.

      Delete
    2. I hope you are enjoying Sparrow Hill Road. I love Seanan McGuire's novels and really enjoyed this one as well as the sequel.

      European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman sounds so good! I am glad you enjoyed it. That's too bad about the cozy.

      Have a great week.

      Delete
    3. Thanks I did really enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  9. I've read other books by Seanan McGuire, but not this one. Sparrow Hill Road looks interesting, and I like the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh myyy, that's such a lovely cover! There's a really long list of backlist Seanan McGuire books that I need to catch up on, and this is for sure one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry you didn't like Murder, Murder. But I'm glad you got a read you loved this month!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early