Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Empire of Sand (The Books of Ambha #1) by Tasha Suri + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


Happy Friday everyone!  This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Empire of Sand (The Books of Ambha #1) by Tasha Suri. This sounds like a great debut fantasy - and I'm enjoying what I've read so far.

Beginning:

Mehr woke up to a soft voice calling her name.  Without thought, she reached a hand beneath her pillow and closed her fingers carefully around the hilt of her dagger.

56:

Pressed into her palm was a circle of carved stone, marked in Ambhan script with the names of the men of the family who had come before her.  She saw her own name, set at its heart.  Her blood ran cold.

50/50 Friday: Favorite/ Least Favorite Book In The Contemporary Genre



Favorite - Be Not Far From Me by Mindy McGinnis - This author is quickly becoming one of my favorites and I feel like I haven't mentioned enough just how much I enjoyed this brutal YA contemporary survivalist novel.  If you haven't picked it up yet, I can't recommend it enough.


Least Favorite - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - I finally decided to pick this up in March and I can officially say that I couldn't stand that insufferable jerk Holden Caulfield, who is the biggest phony he knows. But, at least I got to read it on my own terms rather than suffer through it in high school.


Have you read any of these books?  What are you reading this weekend?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I didn't care for The Catcher in the Rye either but I wonder if the time frame between now and when it was written is keeping us from being shocked by it. My Friday quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's also part of why I found Holden so irritating...

      Thanks for sharing, Anne.

      Delete
  2. The excerpts are interesting. I wonder why she reaches for her dagger when she hears a soft voice calling her name?

    Here's mine:
    “A PIECE OF THE WORLD”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes you wonder doesn't it! :D

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I'm sad I haven't read Empire of Sand yet, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be Not Far From Me sounds like a good one! I’m adding it to my TBR!

    Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's excellent - McGinnis is one of my favorites. :)

      Delete
  5. Huh, what is her life like that the first thing she does is reach for her dagger? I'm intrigued.

    Happy weekend, and happy reading!

    My Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it caught your attention.

      Thanks for coming over, Bea.

      Delete
  6. That opening got my attention!

    The Catcher in the Rye is the only one I read and I read it 35 years ago. I wasn't enthralled, but I didn't hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wonder what I would have thought of it back when I was in high school, but then again I'm glad I didn't have to suffer.

      Delete
  7. Sounds exciting!!! Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds interesting. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an intriguing opening and 56. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Empire of Sand sounds great! Those snippets really pulled me in. Thanks for sharing! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished it up and it was lovely. Thanks for coming over, Ashley.

      Delete
  11. The snippets really piqued my interest.
    I have yet to read The Catcher in the Rye, since it wasn't on our high school reading list. I will get to it sometime.
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to know what you think of The Catcher in the Rye. Thanks for visiting, Konna.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early