Skip to main content

Sci-Fi Month 2023 - Sunday Funday: Week 2 Update

 

Happy Sunday everyone and welcome to my second weekly update for Sci-Fi Month 2023!  Sci-Fi Month is a month long celebration of all things sci-fi and it's hosted by Lisa @ Dear Geek Place and Imyril @ One More.  (Image credit: Artwork by Yosua Bungaran Cahya Putra).  I don't know about you, but it was quite a week!  I've made some progress on my tbr and watchlist as well.  Keep reading to see what I got up to since this monthly event began:

My Sci-Fi Month Posts This Week:





What I Watched This Week:

 ❋  

I checked out the second episode of Night Sky, Season 1 (2022) this week.  It's still slowly paced, but I really like where it's going.  I liked getting to look the new characters Stella and Toni and their family secret.  The show is doing a good job of developing the characters, especially Simmons and Spacek's.  Plus, I need to know more about Jude, the mysterious visitor.  I'll definitely be sticking with this one to see where it goes.

 ❋  

So far I've watched the first two episodes of Travelers, Season 1 (2016) and I'm really intrigued so far.  I'm really interested in seeing what's going to happen as it goes along.  The characters are where it's got me - I need to know more about our travelers and their wider plan.


 ❋ ❋.5

I put off watching Strange World (2022) for far too long. Yes, there's more that I wish it would have explored and have done more with some of the characters, but I loved how much this movie feels like a classic, pulpy adventure serial yet how modern it also feels at the same time. The visuals and the soundtrack are absolutely outstanding. Plus, Jake Gyllenhaal has a great voice and he should definitely do more animated features. If you're a fan of Treasure Planet, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, The Sea Beast, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away, I have a feeling you'll enjoy this too.

My review is also on Letterboxd.


 

I've heard this adaptation of Dune (1984) wasn't good, and they were definitely right! It's still odd knowing that Sting, Patrick Stewart, and Brad Dourif were all in this together.  It's also odd knowing that Kyle MacLachlan is the same age as Timothee Chalamet in Dune Part One.  He seems like it must be so much older.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  

I was really surprised by how much I ended up feeling invested in Shin Godzilla (2016), especially the human characters. Also Godzilla itself looked very impressive when glowing purple and shooting that devastating beam.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  

The Marvels (2023) was so much fun to see on the big screen.  It has its weak points, but for the most part it really worked for me.  So much of this is thanks to Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan - she is just delightful to watch!  I'm really glad her family played a good part in the story.  It was cool to see how they interact with established characters or all of the craziness that's happening around them.  By the way, Goose is only the best and the entire sequence on Aladna was hilariously awesome!  Finally, I really enjoyed those cameos, especially the one at the end and then the after credit scene.  They made me very excited for what's coming in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


What I Read This Week:

 ❋  

Sundowner (Nicole Shea #3) by Chris Claremont  is easily the strongest installment of the trilogy.  I guess the author really saved the best for last.  I'm glad I decided to stick with this series even if it has its issues.  

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 
Yes, Oona herself really got on my nerves for the most of Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore and I wish we got more of a why regarding her condition/ ability. Or, maybe a look at the wider world during all of this. That said Kenzie was my favorite character in this novel and I have a feeling I'd prefer seeing an adaptation of this story on screen.  I'm just a sucker for time travel.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  
It's been ages since I read the first book in this series, but I'm glad I decided to come back to it to read The Treatment (The Program #2) by Suzanne Young.  That was quite a ride. Now hopefully there won't be so much time between now and when I decide to read book three because I need to get to it asap.  If you're looking for an engaging YA sci-fi dystopia, you absolutely need to read  this fascinating series.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋  
Little Brother (Little Brother #1) by Cory Doctorow is one of those novels I wish I had read back when it was new in 2008.  I've really been missing out for the last 15 years!  Plus, Kirby Heyborn is one of my favorite narrators and he gives a great performance here.  That said, it does get bogged down a bit with explanations of tech related things which slows down the whole thing.  Regardless, I'll have to check out the rest of the series some day.

My review is also on Goodreads.


What have you been up to this past week?  Are you taking part in Sci-Fi Month this year?  Have you read any of these books or watched any of these movies or tv shows?  As always thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows