Skip to main content

Sci-Fi Month 2023 - Sunday Funday: Week 1 Update

Happy Sunday everyone and welcome to my first weekly update for Sci-Fi Month 2023!  Sci-Fi Month is a month long celebration of all things sci-fi and it's hosted by Lisa @ Dear Geek Place and Imyril @ One More.  (Image credit: Artwork by Yosua Bungaran Cahya Putra).  So far, my Sci-Fi Month has gotten off to a pretty decent start.  I've already made progress on my tbr and I've started in on my watchlist as well.  Keep reading to see what I got up to since this monthly event began:

My Sci-Fi Month Posts This Week:




What I Watched This Week:

 ❋ 

Cube Zero (2004) is definitely better than the Cube 2: Hypercube, but not as good as the first installment. The body horror element starts off strong and I liked that we got a look behind the scenes of the cube itself. It's always interesting to see some familiar faces in the cast as well.

My review is also on Letterboxd.


 ❋  
Upload, Season 3 (2023) is so much fun.  I almost forgot how much I missed it, but so far I've already made it through the six episodes that are currently available before more are released in the coming week.  Robbie Amell is hilarious in this as Nathan (and he gets to play a dual role this season).  Also, Nathan's character has grown quite a bit since the series started and you can see just how much this season too.  Plus, I'm very nervous for how the season will wrap up for him.  By the way, my favorite character of the whole series is still the AI Guy!  This show is a total hidden gem.


 ❋  

Night Sky, Season 1 (2022) is an 8 episode series I just happened to stumble across on Prime Video and I'm glad I decided to give the first episode a try so far.  It's slow paced, but the hook is awesome even if it takes awhile to get there and it has a cool cast with JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek in the lead.  It's not often you get to see an older pair of actors lead the cast in a series like this, but I already feel pretty invested in their characters and of course they're always brilliant.  The visuals when we get to see their secret first had look incredible and how the first episode ends makes me want to come back for episode 2.


What I Read This Week:

 ❋ ❋ 
The Integrated Man by Michael Berlyn is a 1980 sci-fi release that I just happened to spot at a used bookstore earlier this summer.  I hadn't heard of it at all before then, but that cover (and a very low price) caught my eye.  The idea of using a computer chip to enhance you abilities or experience the personalities of other people was really cool.  I don't know if it would be ahead of it's time or not, but it definitely felt like it.  My only complaint is in regards to the bad guy - he doesn't make a whole lot of sense at all.  Otherwise, this is definitely worth trying out.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 
Valiant (The Lost Fleet #4) by Jack Campbell isn't my usual brand of sci-fi since I'm not often into military science fiction, but I've found invested in the story and the characters more than I would have guessed.  I'm so glad I decided to continue on with this series and very glad that this seems to end the love triangle situation because that was getting old.  I might have to try a future installment of this series on audiobook because I bet the production could be great.

My review is also on Goodreads.


What have you been up to this past week?  Are you taking part in Sci-Fi Month this year?  Have you read any of these books or watched any of these movies or tv shows?  As always thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below.

Comments

  1. Looks like you a really good week. I'm going to try Upload at some point😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! For scifimonth, I just watched 3 awesome classic movies, I need to make a post on them now

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows