Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Read & Want To Read Because Of The Hype

  

Happy Tuesday everyone!  Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday which is is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.  This week's topic is Books I Read &  Want To Read Because Of The Hype.  Without further ado, here we go in alphabetical order by title:

Read 

1984 by George Orwell - Definitely should have read this one earlier than I did!

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - Welp, at least I can say I crossed it off my tbr, but otherwise I couldn't stand this.  At least I read it on my own terms instead of having to read read it in high school for weeks on end.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - Uh, it was fine I guess, but it came across as a lot more American than I was expecting.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid - Loved the characters and the Old Hollywood element, but wasn't nearly as interested in the present day set scenes.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens - I think I loved the setting most of all.

Want To Read 

The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho - This has been recommended to me so many times that I'll have to read it one of these days.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - I've been told if I'm going to read any historical fiction set during WWII that I can't skip this one.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - I've already read The Secret History and enjoyed it, so I think I can't miss this.

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah - I've never tried this author yet, but I get recommended her books especially this one at least once a week it seems like so I'll have to fix that!

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut - Somehow I've never read anything from Vonnegut - I have to change that and this seems like a perfect place to start.


What books have you read or do you want to read because of the hype?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Slaughterhouse Five is on the list of many top 10-50 funnies of all time... and yet there are those who have mentioned that it's a tragic bitter tale with no humor to speak of. I've been on the fence on this one for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn Hugo is so good. Here is my post https://paigesofnovels.com/2024/10/01/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-read-because-of-the-hype/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Vonnegut! I think that is my dad's influence. He loves Vonnegut and so I started reading him early. Lol. Welcome to the Monkey House is my favorite Vonnegut. Catcher in the Rye - I did read it in high school and I loved it then. I do not think I would love it now. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to add Welcome to the Monkey House on my tbr too. :)

      Delete
  4. From your list, I only read Evelyn Hugo, The Crawdads and The Nightingale. I didn’t like Where the Crawdads Sing, but loved the others!

    My TTT: https://laurieisreading.com/2024/10/01/books-ive-read-because-of-the-hype/
    From your list, I only read Evelyn Hugo, The Crawdads and The Nightingale. I didn’t like Where the Crawdads Sing, but loved the others!

    My TTT: https://laurieisreading.com/2024/10/01/books-ive-read-because-of-the-hype/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, Laurie! Thanks for coming over and sharing. :)

      Delete
  5. While I absolutely love All The Light We Cannot See, it is not the book I'd go to for someone who presumably hasn't read much WWII historical fiction. The Nightingale however, that one I'd recommend for a WWII historical fiction newbie.

    I hope you have a great week.

    Here's my TTT if you wish to visit - https://justanothergirlandherbooks.blogspot.com/2024/09/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-bought-because.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked up a copy of All the Light We Cannot See from a second hand store after all of the hype died down. I finally attempted to read it this year, and found it lacking. It was a DNF for me.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/lets-hype-these-books-ten-books-deserving-more-hype/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read one book by Taylor Jenkins Reed and I wasn't a fan. I should give her another try as so many seem to love her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen The Nightingale everywhere for years, but honestly I don't know what it's actually about. I hope you enjoy the ones you've put off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of the only two I've read, I loved The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo but The Alchemist was a let down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read The Goldfinch yet either, but I want to some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't remember much about The Catcher in the Rye, except that I couldn't stand the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I despise THE CATCHER IN THE RYE. Glad I'm not the only one! I had to read it in college and, yeah, I hated it. You're right - at least you read it on your own and could have DNFd it if you wanted to.

    Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read a couple of Kristin Hannah's books and I love her, but I haven't read The Nightingale either. Definitely next on my list!

    Haze
    https://thebookhaze.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US