Skip to main content

Magical Readathon: Orilium - Autumn Equinox 2024 - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

 
Happy Wednesday everyone!  Autumn Equinox 2024 classes at Orilium for the Magical Readathon, hosted by G. @ Book Roast is now completed.  It lasted all of September and I completed four of my four courses with the seven books from my original tbr.  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I read this semester:

Elemental Studies

O - Gust of Longing: Your favorite scent in the title/ cover/ author name

  ❋ 

The Library of the Dead (Edinburgh Nights #1) by T.L. Huchu  is an enjoyable atmospheric fantasy novel.  I was hoping that the library element would have played a larger part in this story, but I still liked getting into this Edinburgh and meeting the characters.  I'm haven't decided whether or not I want to continue the series or not though.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Inscription 

O - Art of Decipher: Title has all the letters of your first name

 ❋ 
Can't Spell Treason Without Tea (Tomes & Tea #1) by Rebecca Thorne was a nice little cozy fantasy.  I enjoyed spending time in the world, but I wasn't as invested in these two characters as I should have been.  I'm still looking forward to book two though.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Q - Ink Pigmentation: Color wheel for title color

 ❋  
Red Country (First Law World #6) by Joe Abercrombie is a standalone fantasy set in the world of his First Law series.  I've really enjoyed what I've read from this author so far and this was cool as well.  I really appreciated just how much of a western this one is  Honestly, it's always good to read more from this him.  

My review is also on Goodreads.

D - Credit Etiquette: Book by an author mentioned in a recent five star read

 ❋  ❋ 
The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus #3) by Rick Riordan is another awesome installment in this series and this world overall.  I loved seeing some favorite character return.  What an ending!  I can't wait to read book four.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Restoration 

O - Night Dew: Night sky on the cover

 
Catching Stars by Cayla Keenan is a YA fantasy standalone I just happened to pick up after it caught my eye at a thrift store.  It sounded like it had a lot of potential, but it never quite hit with me.  If I liked the characters or if there was something more interesting about them this would have been better.  Oh, well.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Lore

O - Iltyrian History: Vampire Book

 ❋ 
I do like this series, but Blood Lines (Victoria Nelson's Blood Investigations #3) by Tanya Huff has been the weakest for me so far. Is it my fault I judge all mummy related things to The Mummy (1999)?

My review is also on Goodreads.

Q - Regional Interpretation: Translated book

 ❋ 
It's definitely interesting to see Wallander in his younger days as he's getting started and through his career. I'd say the first story in The Pyramid: The First Wallander Cases (Kurt Wallander #9) by Henning Mankell  is probably my favorite just because he's so different but you can see who he's becoming.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Did you take part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I have a copy of Library of the Dead but haven't read it yet. I'm sad to see you only gave it 3 stars, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy it more than me if you decide to try it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books On My Fall 2024 TBR

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows